• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I finished my screenplay but now I need some help

Ok, I just finally finished writing my script and I'm not sure if everything is correct with the script or not, in regards to if the story is a good story or if it still needs work or not? So can I send my screenplay to someone for a review/critique? Can someone review/critique it for me? And if someone can review and/or critique it, I will be so appreciative, thank you.

"I've decided that if someone wants me to read an entire screenplay in this forum, which takes up a significant amount of my time, then in exchange that person can put up with me posting my critique here, where others who may also be new writers can benefit by reading my critique and any discussion we might have about improving your script."

May I ask you as to why it would be a problem with posting the script/scrrenplay here at the forum?

I may be missing some thing here, but I would have thought that the more people see the work, the better!

Specially if experts here at the forum are kind enough to offer their help and advice!

So why would it be a problem to post the script/screenplay on the forum for all to see?

ChandraJeetj

So why would it be a problem to post the script/screenplay on the forum for all to see?

While your work is automatically copyrighted, the protection of that copyright is dependent on your ability to pursue those who might infringe on your rights. This usually means an expensive legal battle.

Most writers (especially teenagers) don't have enough money to sustain a legal battle to settle a case. It's often better to keep it to yourself, especially when it's open to the public.

Well alright....I'll email you the script, I wasn't afraid of someone stealing my work, I was just nervous of getting bad reviews of my probably shitty work....However I am sure in my mind I'll receive horrible reviews because I'm always my own worst critic....But alright...

Don't worry about the critique kid-filmmaker, the guys here are really helpful and not only give you knowledge on where you are at the moment as a writer, but their feedback will help shape you into a better writer. I can safely say thanks to the guys here that my writing is improving (I only started writing at the start of this year) and even though I still have to make improvements, I have improved a lot from then till now.

Trust these guys, take their advice, feedback, critique or whatever you want to call it and see your script blossom :) Never take it personally, it's just writer to writer.

There are reasons for not posting a script on a public site. The most obvious is that the idea can be stolen. While it may stimulate a writer to take an idea in a new direction, most writers would not simply lift the idea as his/her own. However, posting short excerpts for critique is reasonable. Often the first 10 pages or a problem section is sufficient.

Another reason is that I may be hired to revise or develop a script for which I do not own the rights or have signed an NDA so I can't legally share or disclose content publicly.

Also, I may have co-authored a work and I don't have my co-author's permission.

Or, a script is completed but has been submitted for consideration. Scripts that are in submission are often tricky. A few production companies and/or contests will not accept public manuscripts to minimize liability issues. Ironically, that's why some contest winning scripts are not picked up for production. A built-in safeguard for some competitions is that the participating producers have the right of first option.

HOWEVER, most writers are only looking for feedback on shorts, rough drafts and/or non-commercial scripts which they will produce themselves. This forum is ideally aimed for those writers or with specific questions. And there are some members of the forum who will read the full scripts privately and provide feedback. It isn't intended to replace services which provide detailed feedback on a feature script. I know a couple premier members offer discounts for their services to IndieTalk members wanting a more comprehensive review.

There are pros and cons for posting here. Pros first. If you're a new scriptwriter, posting the first ten pages or a short excerpt can be helpful in giving feedback. That short segment would not compromise the integrity of the rest of your script. In fact, that's pretty much the amount a professional reader will read before making the call of passing on or considering your script. You can get good feedback on story, structure and formatting. The con is that not everyone who comments has the same level of experience. I won't lie, not all advice is sound and not all feedback is kind. We're all human and have our pet peeves. The reality is to survive in the entertainment industry, you need a thick skin. If you only expect praise, posting is probably not a good idea on any public forum.

I have to say, that I find IndieTalk a very supportive community overall with some very talented and knowledgeable people in the independent film business. It's a good place to learn if used properly. Those seeking others to write their scripts for them or provide free script reviews will be disappointed. If you are sincere about wanting to improve, you'll find a great deal of support.

There are also various screenplay review companies you can use.

Also some screenplay contests include some degree of feedback for free as part of the entry fee - the Bluecat Screenplay contest is one of those. That feedback can be very hit or miss though.

Personally I know a lot of screenplay writers and seek feedback from them. If you do not, seek feedback from people here on IT and (if you can afford it) get some professional feedback as well.

Script coverage

I would recommend that you send your script in for script coverage for your script. Here is an article I wrote about script coverage on my blog :

http://www.mattjanacone.blogspot.com/2014/11/cover-your-asswhen-is-your-script-ready.html

I usually don't receive script coverage until I can't write a script any better. Then I send it to Brian of Screenplay Readers. Here is there link:

http://screenplayreaders.com/

Screenplay Readers are very experienced, knowledgeable, prompt and inexpensive at $79/script. They'll usually return your script with 4 to 5 pages of coverage in 2-3 days. Please tell Brian, the owner of Screenplay Readers, that I, Matt Janacone, sent you.

Here are the links to 2 other articles that I wrote on script coverage:

http://www.mattjanacone.blogspot.com/2014/11/script-coveragea-pass-is-not.html

http://www.mattjanacone.blogspot.com/2014/11/more-on-script-coverage.html

I hope this reply is helpful.

Back