Winning a fight in a martial-arts movie.

I like martial arts (MA) movies, and I have practised some martial arts, though I'm not very good at it.

Every fan of MA movies would know of the Batman episode where the Dynamic Duo meets the Green Hornet and Cato, with Cato being played by Bruce Lee, and where Robin fights Cato. Well, everyone knows that, if it had come to a fight, Cato would have plastered Robin, except they fought to a draw. The original script apparently had Robin beating Cato, except Bruce Lee insisted on a rewrite - and good thing he did. I mean, look at the difference in the moves between Robin and Cato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13IuxNixyig

The problem, of course, is that the star must always win his fights and, of course, be the better fighter. That's usually BS.

That said, Mel Gibson and Danny Glover were the stars of Lethal Weapon 4, and they had a hard time fighting Jet Li - he almost killed both of them, but they won, after a great, great deal of difficulty, and after they stabbed him, and, as he struggled underwater with Mel, shooting him. I can respect that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PsX85TBlMA

Last edited:
Check out The Raid 2.

The lead gets beaten in a very tough fight...

...he then encounters the same fighter near the end of the movie.

Note, this movie is ultra violent - at times, too much for me.

The martial arts are outstanding.

My other favs are:
  • Enter the Dragon
  • Jet Li's Fearless
  • Tony Jaa's Ong Bak I and II

I'm not sure what we're supposed to talk about in this thread

Good question, sfoster.

My point is that many MA fights often seem faked, especially if a superstar with no training whatsoever will win against an experienced martial artist. That has led to some unbelievable stories, which really gets my goat.

In my emerging SF series, I have decided NOT to have ANY stars, for this reason.

Good question, sfoster.

My point is that many MA fights often seem faked, especially if a superstar with no training whatsoever will win against an experienced martial artist. That has led to some unbelievable stories, which really gets my goat.

In my emerging SF series, I have decided NOT to have ANY stars, for this reason.

Ah, so THAT's why you turned down tom cruise

I don't see anything off about Mel Gibson winning that fight... ;)

I absolutely forgot Lethal Weapon 4 existed. I need to go back through those movies. All I remember of the fourth is that it opened with a fight scene I remember being absolutely absurd. That's probably a trend for the film...

Back