• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Weird lines/blurs on walls after export?

Hey guys,

I just exported my latest short and in several spots it has these weird lines and blurs on the walls. I've attached some screenshots so you can see what I'm talking about. I've exported an mp4 file and a H.264 mov file in best quality and both resulted with this. It is not present in the timeline so assuming its an export issue. Hoping its an easy fix. Any suggestions?

Screen%20shot%202015-05-30%20at%2012.43.02%20PM_zpssydd5rio.png

Screen%20shot%202015-05-30%20at%2012.23.31%20PM_zps2fsv6kzu.png

Screen%20shot%202015-05-30%20at%2012.22.33%20PM_zpsvgatanqf.png

I believe you've run into banding issue.

Try increasing the bitrate of the export. The lower bitrate may be causing the codec to compress too far causing the banding.

It can also come from color grading (if you're grading).

What's the source?

What software are you using? and version.

Yea after doing some research, I think it is banding. Started after I got footage back from color grader. Source is prores422 hq but got transcoded a few times in the process. Made some changes and now it only badly occurs in one spot (top picture). i believe I was exporting at max bit rate. Any solutions on how to fix? Saw a plugin by Neat but my computer is too old to run it. Using fcp7 by the way.

It can be tough to answer. The fix will depend on the cause.

What was the transcode to/from? If you went from 422HQ to 422HQ you shouldn't lose information. If you go 422hq to h.264, grade, then back to 422hq, you've lost a bunch of information in the h.264 encoding step. While the naked eye may not be able to see the difference, if you go to grade, the issues of that loss may become apparent.

Banding most often happens in the following situation: Low bitrates forcing compression to be too aggressive. Grading opening up information into your visible range where information has been lost (probably due to compression or really bad exposure).

Depending on what caused the issue will determine how many steps you'll need to go back to fix the issue. It'll likely need to be sent back to your grader.

Who knows, it may be a FCP issue. I don't know anything about FCP.

Neat may do it, but I don't know. It's used to reduce noise. Not really reduce banding, but who knows. Try it.

Back