Youtube is playing with the big boys

sfoster

Staff Member
This is great for all us indie film makers that put our content on youtube.
They're really throwing their hat into the ring now, i believe they hired the director from the bourne identity to do this series. It's really well done and holds up with all the other content out there on the other streaming services

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFH046Fh3ps

YouTube is the biggest boy in town (google)...

They seem to be doing everything in their power to keep small-timers away.

Totally. The moves they'e made in the last year or so have caused me to make a conscious effort to stop uploading there, unless absolutely necessary. It really started with the "adpocalypse", that they have been fairly clear about not standing with small-time creators. The fact that it's now impossible to monetize a video that goes viral overnight tells you where their heart's at.

Right. Even tho they are huge sometimes when they compete in a space they fall flat on their face. Big doesn't always prevail. Examples the Google+ "social network" (lol), and even google home vs. alexa (not a failure but less of market share). However they own the search engine space and android etc. So time will tell.

Right. Even tho they are huge sometimes when they compete in a space they fall flat on their face. Big doesn't always prevail. Examples the Google+ "social network" (lol), and even google home vs. alexa (not a failure but less of market share). However they own the search engine space and android etc. So time will tell.

Yeah absolutely google has developed a long history now of supporting ideas within its company and then cutting support a year later or whatever. But the point of the thread is that this is the first time youtube has my respect for creating high quality original narrative content on their streaming service.

To me this looks like the beginning of something real

Original content is the hook to buy the whole service. I think HBO created this idea... instead of old movies they started producing/buying "TV" shows like "First and 10" and then so much after (Six Feet Under/Sopranos anyone?)... they realized they need to have something proprietary to get the subscribers... so yeah let's see what they do... look how many people got Showtime for Dexter, Netflix for OITNB, etc.

I find the whole 'Originals' concept very intriguing. Because they promote it like they have created the content but from what I understand the producers / or even writers pitch the idea to these VOD companies (Amazon, Netflix, now Youtube etc) and if its something they believe in, they will fund it with sole distribution rights.

The sad thing is its used to be the members of the production where praised, directors, DOP's, writers, but it seems with VOD Originals the 'Studios' (Netflix, Amazon, Youtube) are the one being praised because a lot of people believe they created the content.

I find the whole 'Originals' concept very intriguing. Because they promote it like they have created the content but from what I understand the producers / or even writers pitch the idea to these VOD companies (Amazon, Netflix, now Youtube etc) and if its something they believe in, they will fund it with sole distribution rights.

The sad thing is its used to be the members of the production where praised, directors, DOP's, writers, but it seems with VOD Originals the 'Studios' (Netflix, Amazon, Youtube) are the one being praised because a lot of people believe they created the content.

in the trailer they begin by saying
"From the director of the bourne identity"

and the fact that it was made by that director (not the youtube studio) is what they are hoping will bring in subscribers

YouTube is now only paying the big boys ;)

Since netneutrality has been killed in the US, the owner of the cables will be able to make and break a streaming service.

YouTube is now only paying the big boys ;)

Since netneutrality has been killed in the US, the owner of the cables will be able to make and break a streaming service.

as if :lol:

Can you imagine an ISP that didn't let you stream youtube videos?
They would hemorrhage paying customers, the free market doesn't work like that.

In other news I finished this series, it's definitely written with a very strong second season in mind.
it was a great season 1

Totally. The moves they'e made in the last year or so have caused me to make a conscious effort to stop uploading there, unless absolutely necessary. It really started with the "adpocalypse", that they have been fairly clear about not standing with small-time creators. The fact that it's now impossible to monetize a video that goes viral overnight tells you where their heart's at.

Yeah, I'm only uploading there now because there's no other platform. Vimeo is terrible and unsharable.

I just need somewhere to showcase the work to try to find work outside of the internet. Or commissioned work for someone else on the internet

if you get enough subscribers on youtube surely you can get some of them to pledge on patreon or something

True, that could be one revenue stream. But that'll be pretty difficult with the youtube algorithm favoring certain content

Yeah, I'm only uploading there now because there's no other platform. Vimeo is terrible and unsharable.

I just need somewhere to showcase the work to try to find work outside of the internet. Or commissioned work for someone else on the internet

I hear you. I'm about there too, using YouTube primarily because it's an easily shareable platform if people want to see it, easy to embed, etc. It's still not a bad solution as far as free video hosting and what not.

As far as curating a "channel", creating exclusive content, and funneling any sort of fan-base through them? Forget about it. :no:

as if :lol:

Can you imagine an ISP that didn't let you stream youtube videos?
They would hemorrhage paying customers, the free market doesn't work like that.

We'll see.
I hope you are right.

It were some of those 'free market surpliers' who want it to be less free. Hence the lobby and the result.

We'll see.
I hope you are right.

It were some of those 'free market surpliers' who want it to be less free. Hence the lobby and the result.

Basically it makes it impossible to start a "new youtube" without money to grease the tracks.
But as far as existing players they're all set. Youtube is a cornerstone of the internet as we know it.

Pages everywhere use it to embed videos.

Every band on earth used MySpace.
Vines were used a lot.
Websites used to be optimised for AltaVista.

The numbers may not be the same, but on the internet of the past, nothing was forever.
The above examples did indeed disappear because a new kid arrived in town.

Well shit I never said things last forever, that would be a dumb argument.
Everything changes that's the impermanence of life.

Like I said it makes it "impossible to start a "new youtube" without money to grease the tracks."
but of course plenty of people have money to grease those tracks and try to compete

But the one thing that isn't going to take down youtube is net neutrality.
None of the example you posted lost their grip because of net neutrality the only point you're making is that businesses rise and fall which is patently obvious

Back