should i use this style cinematography in my new indie film "500 MILES"?

For whole film absolutely not, people will get motion sickness in the theater. For footage of an old VHS tape or similar, sure, with the jump effect in longer intervals if you plan to use it a lot.

Should I buy a four wheel drive vehicle to travel back and forth to work?

There are a whole lot of questions that need to be answered by you before we can offer advice. What is your short about? What is your budget? Why that style? And dozens of other questions.

Ask a vague question, get sarcastic answers.

yeah I think that's pretty fair, I think id get motion sickness too if this were the entire film XD , but it is part of the film where he finds a camera and looks at the somewhat corrupted footage on it. (sorry for sounding a bit rude there, I didn't mean to sound to harsh but yeah I totally agree with what you said.)

Just today I've watched 2 films made to look like very old VHS tapes. One was 20 mins, the other was 30 mins. I didn't like it. Both were no-budget slasher films, trying to emulate the 80's/90's SOV style, so I get where the filmmakers were coming from. But the main thing crossing my mind was why would they want to ruin their film in such a way?

It does look like corrupted VHS, so it will work for that effect.

If it's just for one specific scene then yes. Otherwise... no. (it's visually unappealing and it'd likely make a lot of people sick).

Hi BlackSlateMedia,

Touching on some of the other members post, shooting an entire film in this format may deter some viewers from enjoying the story that you are conveying as the creator.

Using this styled format for flashbacks and other inserts (we think at least), would be very cool.

Keep us updated on your film, and best of luck with all your work!
:)
Flix Premiere

No. Its not even close. That is really bad. Is that on purpose?

It's not even close to what? Is what on purpose? As it stands, your reply is probably less helpful than a simple "no".

...it is part of the film where he finds a camera and looks at the somewhat corrupted footage on it.

So it is literally just for the footage on the camera? Then you should definitely use it, if what you want is your protagonist to find a camera and look at footage that looks like this. I wouldn't refer to that as the "cinematography in my film" though. It's really something completely different.

Back