• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about making DVD disc labels.

When it comes to making the labels for the discs, I was told not to use ones that stick because they can come off and ruin DVD players.

I read that you have to use 'printable discs' as they are called but I cannot find that type in stores that are for commercial use. And when you print it on the disc, where do you get such a printer that can do that. I called the copy shops do not do it either.

What you're looking for is Lightscribe. It's not popular anymore, but it's a darn good way to do exactly what you want. Over the years, I've utilized it for hundreds of CD's and DVD's with excellent results. Nowadays, I have an old Lightscribe drive hooked up to a USB - I pull that out whenever I need it. You can still buy the discs in office supply stores or online. (And I'm sure you'd have no serious issue finding a drive to do it, either.)

Update - This is the drive I use with a USB configuration. Pretty cheap used nowadays. http://www.amazon.com/HP-Lightscrib...8&qid=1439288193&sr=8-6&keywords=light+scribe

Plenty of other drives as well, but again, it's a technology that died out because it just wasn't right for the time. For years, though, I've been fooling fans at my gigs that I get my discs and CD's professionally done... They're light scribed :)

Hope that helps!

For commercial use?
What do you mean by that?

It's simple: there are inkjet printable DVDs: they are white.
Can be done with a Canon ip4950 printer

Or the lightscribe DVDs as mentoned by Beatlesfan: but that is not full color.

Epson has printers that will do direct to disk printing. I have a Stylus because I also do wide format printing.

LINK to google search for blank printable disks. We have a Fry's nearby and I just go there to buy mine when I need them.

Okay thanks. I probably couldn't afford the printer though, and should hire someone else to do it. However, I have called every copy shop in town and they all to the print label only. If I am at risk for ruining people's blu ray players from the label coming off, then I would not want to chance it.

if you do buy the printer, just be sure that you buy the right discs to go with it, otherwise the ink rubs right off (yeah, I did that).

It needs some time to dry the ink.
This creates fun possiblities: from the printer into an old dvd-player to make it spin can give some nice effects on wet ink :P

Okay thanks. I probably couldn't afford the printer though, and should hire someone else to do it. However, I have called every copy shop in town and they all to the print label only. If I am at risk for ruining people's blu ray players from the label coming off, then I would not want to chance it.

I'd reiterate Light Scribe in that case. You can get a drive for under $20 and then buy some discs and a USB connector for the drive. As mentioned, it's not full color, but it's damn nice looking. Plus you're not paying for ink, either.

Well I see it costs a lot less than I thought. But I do not want to buy the whole printer for just a few copies. Isn't it possible to outsource it, and get a company to do it for me? It is, but all the companies only use stickers. However, they are still in business, so when people say the stickers have a tendency to peal off, do they really, if all these companies that do it, are still in business and said they have not gotten complaints?

Okay thanks. There are places in major cities that do it, but the shipping will really up the price compared to hiring a more local place that makes labels. There is one thing I do not understand though. If you buy DVD that are printable, the DVDs already have a blank sticker on them, which you print onto.

What's the difference between that sticker as oppose to one you buy with your movie title on? If they can make blank stickers for printable DVDs that stay on the DVD while playing them, can they not do that for stickers that you have custom made with your title on?

Oh okay, thanks. Well so far I haven't found a place in the city that does the actual printing. I would rather work with a place here, because you can monitor the situation better, rather than relying on sources in other cities, not knowing what you got that you payed for, till it gets here, if that makes sense.

As far as buying lightscribe goes, I might but if it's at least $50, I can get the ones made here with stickers for $10. I don't know if I would be making them enough that lightscribe would be worth it.

Okay thanks. I found a few places so far, but they will only do it if I want to make a large amount, no less than 200 copies! I was thinking more like 10, but they will not do it for that low. I will keep looking but may have to settle for a place in town.

Last edited:
Or just burn ordinary dvds and use a marker to write the title on it.
This is actually what I usually do.
Most of my clients don't want a DVD and when they do they want 2 or 3 to play at a tradefair ans they don't need a printed DVD.

For my shorts I do the same.
I make a nice cover for the box, but I use normal DVDs and everyone is happy with it, because it is about what is on it.

So, ask yourself: how important is the print on the disk?
I know, you want to look 'professional'. So what do you want to spend on that?
One thing is sure: you need to make a decision.

You make things extremely hard for yourself.
In this period of 8 days you could have ordered a suitable printer and printed them already. Or use normal DVDs since printed/pressed only can be ordered in high volumes.

Back