• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Max Peril - A movie about making a movie

Hey guys!

For anyone interested in off-kilter southern comedy mockumentary films, here's the trailer to a feature I completed recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk1sLCitlCw

As with my first film, this one is shot in documentary style and features a local cast.

It's really a movie within a movie. The story follows a hopeless filmmaker who has stacks of half-attempted films, but has never completed a full movie.

In an effort to finish one before turning thirty, he documents and re-creates the increasingly far-fetched stories of a retired secret agent using only local talent, a VHS camcorder, and every low-budget filmmaking trick he has learned over the years.

Thank you for checking it out!

It looks like a lot of fun, Frank. Are you taking it to any festivals or maybe having a grand opening at a local theater like you did with your previous film?

Thanks, Richy!

We're premiering it locally first. The college in town has completed a really nice, large performing arts center and we're pretty excited about showing it there.

Rough cut was accepted into a couple of MS festivals and we're hoping to submit to a few outside the state.

Good to hear from you!

Good to hear from you Frank, this looks great.

I love your style and your attention to production design and creating a really distinctive aesthetic (rather than using the mockumentary format to cut costs). I hope this is a success. What happened with Hickory Never Bleeds in the end?

Good to hear from you Frank, this looks great.

I love your style and your attention to production design and creating a really distinctive aesthetic (rather than using the mockumentary format to cut costs). I hope this is a success. What happened with Hickory Never Bleeds in the end?

Thanks, NickClapper! Good to hear from you too!
I self-distributed Hickory, which went really well. At least I was able to make back the manufacturing costs plus some on the first night with a DVD release party. Lots of local support for the film. DVD and streaming sales continue to trickle in every now and then. Haven't pushed it as much because it's such a different film: Meandering story, long setup, quick payoff. Mainly an excuse to share some colorful personalities.

In terms of cohesive story, Max Peril should have a wider appeal. Hopefully. :)

How were you able to embed the video into the thread? I've tried to do that before but the video never displays properly.

I just hit the "YT" icon in the edit toolbar (right above the textbox) and pasted the code. (Important not to paste the entire youtube.com/ link... just the part after "v=".

Very nice, Frank! I'm really impressed that you successfully self-distributed your first film too. That's amazing. Did you focus on social media a lot or more on other local relationships? I saw you said you had lots of local support.

Thanks and good luck!!
mitch-mcclure.com

Very nice, Frank! I'm really impressed that you successfully self-distributed your first film too. That's amazing. Did you focus on social media a lot or more on other local relationships? I saw you said you had lots of local support.

Thanks and good luck!!
mitch-mcclure.com

Hey Mitch!

I did some local and some social media advertisement (which was mainly _local_ social media - heh. ie. Local folks on Facebook.)

With Hickory Never Bleeds, I was well aware of the limited reception in advance, given the nature of the film, so I didn't push hard with advertising.

Inspired by "Vernon, Florida" it was rimarily a framework to capture and show southern personalities. Slow, gradual setup, relatively quick payoff.

I believe Max Peril will be more worthy of promotion in that, while I'm still allowing for the natural eccentricities of local non-actors to show though, the story takes a front seat. Thus I believe it's a film which can be enjoyed by a wider range of folks.

Back