Director, in directing yourself?

How do you guys handle the follow through in watching a director directing themselves in films? If you have been in such scenario, and as creators providing "Help" for others works when it comes to seeing their vision, whether understanding it fully or not?

Alright, I've experienced this, at least to the scale possible to me.

I think my largest project was a web series where I played the lead role opposite of another actor, and I also directed the shows.

It's difficult in some ways and easier in others. Sometimes, it's reassuring as a director, that if you can act your own role the way you want it be acted, that's one less thing to worry about. However, it's difficult as well, because you can't see what is going on behind the camera. It helps a director to view the scene in its entirety - meaning the production AND the scene - which are two very separate entities. It's a bit difficult to direct cameramen, audio, and lighting when you're engrossed in your own scene.

Essentially, I just had to... well, direct. I had to be very direct about where I wanted the sound-guy to be, what I wanted the camera on, etc. I also frequently checked the takes on the camera and listened to the audio as we went - it slows you down a bit, because if you aren't acting in it, then you could take a more active role in this - but... it's worth taking the time to do after you've finished acting.

I think it's very doable if you just enough headspace around the situation to separate the two sides of it enough to view it from both angles.

Back