Trying to get the flow

Hello all.

I think this is going to sound weird but i'd like to know your opinions/thoughts please.

I've bought good filming material (dslr, good lenses, tripod, slider, glidecam), but now i ask myself "Now what can i shoot with this?". I mean, i already have that material since October and i've never used it yet. I want to shoot cool stuff, i want people to see my videos so i can also have work to do and earn money with that.

But i have nothing, there's no point having all of that material if then i procrastinate and always keep postpone the time that comes to sit and try to have ideas about what to shoot. Maybe nature? People? Streets?

Is there anyone here that has passed for the same situation?

Just go out and shoot. Getting caught up in gear does nothing for you, in fact it limits your creativity and ability to work around unexpected problems.

Have you shot anything yet? I think I would only buy more gear if I had shot a situation many times and realized that it could be made easier by having said gear. Otherwise, don't buy anything until you have an express need for it.

my first year of filmmaking, all I used was the original GoPro and a 5 year old iMac w/ iMovie. Granted they were pretty low quality films, but they got me experience and motivation to make more things, and at a better quality.

Last edited:
WhiteOpus thank you for your reply.

I took a Directing course few years ago with the duration of 2 years. Since then i've been working doing camera and editing work (not for me but for other) in some companies. I also never really directed nothing since that course.

I want to start shooting my own stuff and i want it to have quality, that's why i also invested in that gear, but right now it's just that: gear with no use, because i can't come up with what to shoot to really start gathering my own videos.

take your camera outside, right now, and start shooting. responding to this is simply wasting valuable time you could have spent shooting.

we live in a digital age! you can record as much as you want to and if it stinks then delete it! it's not like you're paying a huge amount of money for every foot of celluloid you're shooting, so why not just shoot whenever, wherever?

seriously, you won't get good ideas until you start shooting. or, you'll get a good idea but when it comes time to shoot it, you have no idea how to achieve it.

There's a topic I read in a directing book:

What makes someone a director? Someone who directs.

It's not someone who reads a book, does a course or wishes they are a director. It's someone who goes out and does it.

I want to start shooting

Then go and shoot.

I'm half suspecting that you're looking for material to shoot. You'll either have to write yourself or meet some writers who are willing to provide you with material to shoot. The other half suspect is you love the idea of being a director/film maker.

WhiteOpus, yes i guess that's definitely what i'll have to do, no matter what.

Sweetie, yes the problem is that i have the gear but i have no ideas. Shooting nature, cities, streets is already such a cliché (i'm not saying that it's boring, i've seen a lot of amazing videos about that) that i think it would be a pretty much a useless thing to do in a serious way.

First, I didn't mention anything about shooting nature, cities, streets etc. I pretty much assumed that you want to shoot a narrative production.

I also notice that you've ignored part of my suggestion where you could find writers. Maybe you didn't read it properly, which doesn't bode too well if you need others to come up with the ideas/scripts. Those writers tend to have heaps of ideas... Pro Tip: Some even have scripts ;)

Hell, I've once jumped on to facebook into a local group announcing that I have a few people who want to shoot an action short and does anyone have a good action script they'd like to submit. I think 6 were submitted within a couple of hours. I'm sure there are plenty of writers here who have short scripts they'd be more than happy for you to use.

There's things you can be doing instead of sitting around doing nothing.

Good luck with it. Hope it goes well.

Sweetie sorry, i didn't explain me well so sorry for that.

You're right, i want to shoot narrative. But while i dont have any ideas, i could shoot other stuff.

I've tried to find for someone or some writing group (forum, facebook) here in Portugal, but i didn't find it.

Do you think i can find in this forum anyone willing to send me their script so i can shoot and take it to festivals? Or if there is any place with free scripts? That would get me instantly into it, since i seem to be incapable to com up with decent ideas.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Yeah sure. There are literally millions of writers (not all on this forum) who are just waiting for film makers to turn their script into a film. Some are going to be more than willing to give you their script for credit and a slice of future profits (assuming there are any).

Don't expect the ideas to be absolutely golden, but they're going to be more than enough scripts out there that are going to be better than the alternative.... Sitting at home, looking at unused hardware.

If you're happy with English dramas, I can even hook you up with a local writer who has a bunch of scripts I'm sure she'll be happy to give you one or two.

Another idea for you: Go watch a movie that you like. Find some scenes in there and shoot them. It'll be great practice and you don't need to come up with your own ideas. While you're not going to be able to use it for much, you'll at least get out there shooting. You'll meet new people etc.

Another idea for you: Go watch a movie that you like. Find some scenes in there and shoot them. It'll be great practice and you don't need to come up with your own ideas. While you're not going to be able to use it for much, you'll at least get out there shooting. You'll meet new people etc.

yup, this is literally what i do for practice :clap:

Thank you.

I remember i did that of trying to recreate some movie scenes when i was in that course. I think we did it all weeks.

If i could shoot some scripts, that'd be awesome. Dont know if you could give me your friend contact so i can tell about the situation? Then there will always be the need for me to write the script in portuguese.

One question guys, what do you think of paying a writer to write a short script base on an idea you have?

I don't know.
You post is the classic example of: I want to shot a movie, but I need all the gear first.
But after you got the gear, you don't feel like shooting anything...

When someone new asks: I want to make videos, what gear should I buy? I tell them to shoot something with their phone. If that is something you like to do, you should get the gear.
If not you could be wasting money.

My first project was shot one a webcam in black and white at 14fps, because that was what I had access to in 2000.

Having said this, this doesn't help you (but it could help new readers).

The lean startup method has a rule to get things done: 'Get out of the building!'
It means you should get out of the comfortzone where you are just fantasyzing what you would like to do and go out there and do it.
And do it now!

And if you are going to wait till you come up with something not cliché like nature or citylife it could be a long way.
At this moment you need to break the laziness and shoot something.

Go outside. Shoot sunrise in your town.
Shoot (with your camera! ;) ) the elderly people near the fountain.
Shoot the pigeons walking around.
Get used to using your gear.
Get used to filming.
And you will discover that filming will lead to inspiration.
Go edit what you shot and you will see you will get new ideas of what you could have done.

Break the habit of not filming.
Don't hide behind perfectionism.
The great artists became great because they worked on their skills.

You've got the gear since october and you want to eventually make money with it.
It looks like it has been losing money for the past five months: being not used for 5 months means youhave been unemployed as a filmmaker for 5 months in your future, because if you started back then, you would now be 5 months ahead of where you are now.

Don't pay someone for the script of your first effort.
A first short is a great way to learn and make mistakes.

Last edited:
There are ideas on IT as well.
Here are 2 of mine.
You'll still need to work them out a little bit, but I hope it can inspire you to do something.

Since H44 doesn't do anything with it:

I'll give you something simple:

Man working hard to meet important deadline in time, also needs to be in time for a date that evening.
His co-worker wants him to fail, his boss wants him to stay longer if needed and his girl wants him to be in time for a change.
How will he survive this day?

Keep scenes short, like sketches.
Maximum 5 locations: 2 at the office, the restaurant and 2 on the road.
How does he get rid of his co-worker? (When does he get in action?)
And how will he get there in time?

This story about the person with both an unexpected deadline and a date he shouldn't be late for is really a training in making a short story with a person in 'conflict'.
To begin you just start with him working at his office/desk. A co-worker can ask for his plans for that evening (just curious or asking him to join the rest to a bar or something), so the main can say he has a date and wants to o home quickly.
Right after that he gets a load of extra work.
The rest is up to you: will he be in time on his date and how does he try.
The end could be him arriving just in time, but al messed up. Or arriving just too late. Or he's still working when his date walks in angry at him or at his boss. You choose.
Just keep it simple with a few scenes:
- opening: introducing main character, his plan for the night and his problem (too much work to do)
- 2 or 3 short scenes of his struggle (maybe even a violent fantasy of him beating his boss and walking out real cool)
- ending
Again: keep the story simple and straightforward with some humor and absurdity people can relate to.
Everybody knows the feeling of having fun plans and someone making them (almost) impossible.

------------

Another simple idea H44 did nothing with:
3 actors (or 2)
3 locations (max)
Most part: woman walking sad on the streets/a long the water/highway. Sad music in the score.
Flashback: in a fight with (ex)boyfriend (not a fight scene! maybe just 1 slab, besides smashing stuff and yelling in a living room: cold be your place!)
She starts crying (as she walks outside).
In the end someone says something that lifts her spirit. Or she drowns herself (depending on your mood then you need only 2 actors) or jumps from a bridge. (No need to show the drop! Suggest things!)

Length: 2-4 minutes. Shorter is better, but too short will lack time to convey the emotions to the public.
Writing: 1 day
Storyboarding: few hours only, but scout your locations.
Shooting: 1 day
Edit: 2 days

Style: you decide. (I'd go for handheld argument in living room, (mostly) tripod on the streets searching for poetic, desolate compositions that make her small combining with close ups that can be out of focus sometimes: keep it calm when shooting handheld.)

Result: moody video in portfolio. And more experience.

This sad girl story can be seen as an exercise in atmosphere.
You just bump right into the story after one beautiful shot without any person in it. The music already starts, maybe even before the fade in (? just making it up as i type) to create the sad atmosphere. While she wonders around real sad (near the sea or a river) you can either show a flashback of a fight or just use audiofragments (just made that up as well) as if she is still hearing that angry voice saying terrible things to her.
As a conclusion you can let her jump in the river (sad ending), walk into the sea/river and let her dissappear (sad ending with a mild magical touch) or you let a passerby (is that a real word?) give her a napkin and tell her it will be alright (a hopeful end). And then show the title (you will have to make it up, depending on the ending, the location, story). You could look at it as if it's a long commercial without selling anything where the title is part of the payoff.
Remember, it has to be short, so there's no need for a complicated plot.
You just want to convey an emotion through action and beautiful shots. (And you want something nice and finished for your portfolio :P )

-----------

BTW,
I copied my own ideas I posted in 2013.

Make a short film. About ANYTHING! It doesn't even need to be all that entertaining. Before you can learn how to make something that people wanna watch, you first have to learn how to shoot a scene that cuts together. It's not as easy as many people might think. Can you shoot and edit a scene in which somebody pulls up to the curb in their car, walks to their house, then the kitchen, pulls a slice of pizza out of the fridge and eats it?

Seriously, you can start with something as simple as that. Just focus on learning what shots you need to get to allow you to cut it together well. Once you've done that, then move on to telling a story that people would actually want to watch. Keep it short.

I would never lie to a duck, and tell him he is a turkey....

Here's how I see it. You don't know what to shoot. You put in the hard yards to get the gear, and you happily kept going to course for however long taking instructions on what to shoot...

What does that tell you?

Because from where I am sitting, reading these comments, I see exactly what you are...my friend, you are not a turkey...if you were a film writer, you would be writing a film, if you were a film director, you would be directing a film. But you are awaiting instructions from an online site of strangers to tell you what to shoot...this tells me my friend that you are a camera man. It's an awesome thing. So many people want to be the director or have the DoP title or the writer title, and that's ok but you are a camera man. You clearly enjoy filming, but you like to be told what to film, and then trying to find the best way to do that...and that is a camera man to a T. There is no shame in that. It is not a lesser title. It holds no less importance then any other person making footage. In fact there are actual famous camera guys that are famous purely for their pure unmatched and unrivalled skill at certain varieties of trick shots etc. Just look at the camera guy for 'Fast & Furious'...in the world of movies those films kind of came and went, but the camera guy made a name for himself amongst all other camera guys because of his trick shots on that film.

So I don't lie to you and tell you that you are a turkey...but being a duck is an awesome thing to be, and I won't try to tell you that you are somehow falling short for whatever reason at being a writer or director, because I don't think thats what you were born to do...I think you were born to be a camera man, to create your own style of photography with your own brand of trick shots....think about it....

All the best

Back