What camera I should buy? 7D Mark II?

Hey

I'm in a complicated situation, well I'm a intermediate filmmaker. I'm doing filmmaking like 3 years. And I'm now studying filmmaking (I'm 19 years old), but ALL MY WORKS was done with others cameras like Canon 7D, Canon 700D, Canon 1100D, Sony Alpha 77, Nikon D3200, etc.
And I wanna buy my first camera but I'm like (Should I buy a pro camera like canon 7D Mark II because I know how to use a DSLR but all filmmaker buy first a amateur camera like canon 1100D). But I think in this way: If I know how to use a DSLR why not buy a good camera? If I buy a "amateur" camera, past 1 year or 2 I will need a pro camera, and then I will spend 2x my money...
Why Canon 7D Mark II? Because of 60fps at FHD, and have good image quality and I'm a photographer too. Why not Nikon D5300? Record 60fps too...
Well I really don't like Nikon, and all filmmaker says that Canon is better than Nikon in video...
And I'm like (man you are good, you do good stuff why buy a 300$ camera when you can buy a 1,699$ and will take longer and you will have better image quality).
Yes if I buy a 300$ camera I can buy better lens like Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, Canon 50mm f1.8 and Canon 28mm f1.8 (is more important I know), but if I buy a 1,699$ camera (Canon 7D Mark II) I only can buy one lens (low budget guy) will be Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 BUT I will get a better image quality...
Well help me and sorry about my sh*t English I'm Portuguese soo...
Here I let my new job with a batteries camera...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZoG1TORT-g
And Here Another One With Canon 7D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAsQyjJbvOA
Was my first videoclip...

If your principal interest is video, you should avoid Canon DSLRs in this price range.

They lack:

- 4096x2160p 4K or even 3840x2160p Ultra High Definition (UHD) resolution (you can get UHD resolution from entry level cameras these days - Canon DSLRs below the $7999 1D C are all limited to 1920x1080p)

- a usable viewfinder when you switch to "Live View" (video) mode

- compatibility with affordable power zoom lenses

Instead of a Canon DSLR, you might want to seriously consider a 1499,99€ Samsung NX1 with a 16-50mm power zoom lens. The NX1 records high frame rate 1080p slow motion at up to 120fps - while the 7D Mark II is limited to 1080/60p.

The NX1 also has a built in electronic viewfinder so you can shoot outdoors in bright sunlight (as you know, DSLR viewfinders are blocked by the mirror in Live View).

The NX1 can record at 4 times the resolution of Canon cameras in this price range.

Here is what the NX1 can do:

Dialogue/Narrative

- Samsung NX1 test scene. 2 person dialogue at night by a fire

- [The Quiet Escape] - a Short Film. 2015

Travel

- Exploring Iceland

- Alaska from the Sky - NX1 4K

- Lisbon's Light

- Christmas at Hanbury Hall with the Samsung NX1 - Low(ish) Light - High ISO

120 fps 1080p Slow Motion

- Samsung NX1 120fps

- Samsung NX1 - Super Slow Motion

- Samsung NX1 120fps Slow Motion, Danyang Paragliding, Korea

- Guys in Broumov - slowmotion with Samsung NX1

Skate

- Samsung NX1 | Christmas Skate

- Tasnádi Béla // Tasi G // 2 days / 2015 Winter (rollerblading)

It's a great still camera too, with a 15fps continuous frame rate. Here's the still image quality you can get from this 28.2MP camera: Flickr Samsung NX1 Pool

The NX1 also has a new and more efficient type of video compression, h.265. You can use the free RockyMountains Movie Converter to transcode it to ProRes or h.264 for editing.

Bottom line - for about the same price, there are much better options than the 7D Mark II for video.

Hope this is helpful and good luck!

Last edited:
Bruner makes some good points, the competition is so not now that it's not worth going Canon unless you have a decent budget. Some great new bits of kit coming out at far more reasonable price points.

Prices of cameras drop so fast after a year or three that I wouldn't bother to over spend on a camera body right now while you're still a teenager. (spend instead in areas which will hold their value a little better, such as lenses, audio, and lighting)

A little extreme example, but last week I picked up a Sony PMW-F3 (nearly US$20k in total when new in 2011) for less than a Canon 7Dmk 2 goes for new today.

I truly would not bother with any Canon DSLR in 2015, they've fallen waaaay behind the game. Even Nikon is doing better with video with their crop of DSLRs than Canon is.

The top of the lines ones to consider at the moment are Sony A7s / Samsung NX1 / Panasonic GH4 (the last two which are going at similar or lower prices than a 7Dmk2).

However, as I mentioned earlier, I believe there is a lot of logic in you in your circumstances to go with an even cheaper cameras such as a Sony NEX-5N or Panasonic GH1.
http://rungunshoot.com/the-350-docu-filmmaking-kit-depreciation-is-wonderful/
http://www.anycamerawilldo.com/old-but-not-out/

As even with a very affordable camera such as Panasonic GH2, the costs can quickly add up. As the camera body is but a minor part of the overall equation, a factor newcomers often forget.

http://ironfilm.co.nz/a-priced-out-gear-kit-for-a-newbie-to-filmmaking-using-the-panasonic-gh2/

Back