movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Does watching it with commentary count? If so Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Tesco was closed so I couldn't raid it for cheap DVDs and had to settle for something. As always I enjoyed the film but the commentary track wasn't the best I've heard.

If Commentaries don't count then it was The Last King of Scotland, which I really enjoyed and thought that James McAvoy held his own quite well agaisnt the wonderful performance from Forest(Two 'r's?) Whittaker.

Been on a Netflix instant asian horror kick. Some thoughts:
Three...Extremes 7/10 - much more low-key than I was expecting, but very creepy stuff.
Hard Revenge, Milly 8/10 - was not expecting the ending and loved it for it. However...
Hard Revenge, Milly: Bloody Battle 6/10 - didn't seem to carry the momentum. A lot of what I did like about the first, but just seemed disappointing.
Carved - The Slit-mouthed Woman 9/10 - if you like folklore/urban legend based movies, you HAVE to see this
Tetsuo: Iron Man 8/10 - THE japanese cyberpunk movie (does not mean what it does in the US. Less tech, more body horror). Amazing gritty film.
Tokyo Gore Police quality of film, probably 5/10, personal enjoyment 10/10. Absolutely insane movie. Definitely not for everyone, but I loved it.

Super 2011
Rainn Wilson and Ellen Paige

There is a suspension of disbelief you must tolerate to enjoy this movie. Don't waste any time thinking "Why hasn't he been arrested by now? There were like 2 dozen witnesses in broad daylight." and don't think "How is this girl going along so easily and how does she not know she shouldn't kill people just for keying a car?". Its really best not to think of that stuff and simply enjoy the quirkiness of the acting, the over the top violence, and emotional storyline.
It's without a doubt a ripoff of kick-ass but does enough differently to stand on it's own. I like ellen paige a lot her character really brightened up the movie for awhile. Kevin Beacon was a good villian. real funny

B-

Insidious

Absolutely adored it. Im a huge horror fan and this did not disappoint, can't actually remember the last time I saw a horror film that sat so well with me as this one did. The film is pure passion for the horror genre and is rooted in the old school formulas, I left exhilarated, for anyone who is a fan of horror, go and see it, its not the most original, or scary film you'll ever have seen, but you will see a piece crafted with care and love. James Wan needed this for his career and his pulled it off amazingly.

THU - Paris, je t'aime: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_je_taime
Second time watching it. It's a nice show. Has lots of simple camerawork and plain set ups.

FRI - Unstoppable: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unstoppable_(2010_film)
Although I despise/loathe the ADD rotating and ENG camerawork, cold weather setting and sappy dysfunction side stories I found this to be a very enjoyable film.
Gotta love the ridiculous "blue collar pride" agenda.
There was ALWAYS some new problem for everyone to deal with. Very well paced.

SAT - Let Me In: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_Me_In_(film)
Fair.
I enjoyed the original Let the Right One In (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_the_Right_One_In_(film)) more, despite its excessive use of tiny DOF, (rolls eyes).
The original had better SFX and a fairly straight timeline. Don't know why this one begins two weeks in then goes back. ?? No purpose or advantage.
I think the actors in this one aren't as interesting to look at as the other, either.

Last edited:
Death at a Funeral.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0795368/

It's fairly charming, mildly amusing. Hey, it's Frank Oz, man...can't hardly go wrong, there.
The lead's finally getting his unintentionally impromptu eulogy out at the end turns out to be a pretty touching and a satisfying payoff (yeah, my eyes got a little moist).

Thumbs up.

Thor - C+
The guy playing Thor was WAY better than I expected him to be, and overall not bad, but dragged and the CGI was pretty spotty.
WTF on the overuse of dutch angle?

SNIPER: RELOADED 8/10

As a big fan of the series, I was pumped about this one. I like how they tie them all together with the family connection. Thomas Beckett (Tom Berenger) isn't in this one, but is son is one of the main characters. I thought that was a cool spin in the series. Overall, it's a great, suspenseful action flick. The whole Sniper concept is such a badass route for an action protagonist.

I recommend SNIPER: RELOADED if you're a fan of the series or if you're simply a fan of action films.

NEIXzgcIHUxjMN_1_1.jpg

Saw Hors La Loi (Outside The Law) a deeply biased Algerian account of their war for freedom. Other than being too obvious in places, it was quite good.

In The Line Of Fire - directed by Wolfgang Petersen. Made in the early 90's starring Clint Eastwood and John Malkovich. It's a great film with a fantastic score by Ennio Morricone. 8/10

In The Line Of Fire - directed by Wolfgang Petersen. Made in the early 90's starring Clint Eastwood and John Malkovich. It's a great film with a fantastic score by Ennio Morricone. 8/10
I saw parts of it years ago on TV. Seemed to be interesting, I need to see the whole movie.

I watched "Shinjuku Incident" two days ago. A dark, serious thriller with Jackie Chan, who is not showing his "fun-kung-fu". Although he is not the greatest actor in the world, I think he did a good job.
A nice work of asian cinema 9 out of 10

ps: too bad I don't understand any asian language/accent, the German dubbing seems to be crap in most movies.

Just saw Attack the Block.

Interesting for me because it's relatively similar to a screenplay I'm developing. I think mine's better ;)

I've discovered Amazon movies on demand. Oops!

Happy Together. I think it's the best of the three Wong Kar-wai films I've seen.

Otto; or, Up with Dead People. Uhhh, no comment here, other than to say that I more or less enjoyed-it-ish. Not for you sissies, though.

Black Death.
Ug. Here's a movie with no heroes! Just monsters and their victims.
That is not a thumbs down, though. It's still(ish) a good movie worth seeing, if you like the subject. But it is a dismal mofo. But, apparently life in Middle Ages Europe did pretty much suck. So there ya go.

Thor. I enjoyed it like most everyone else seems to be.

Back