Do you need a drivers license to be a Runner?

I'm thinking of applying for some runner jobs, but the problem is I don't drive. I definitely eventually plan to but I just can't afford to pay for the driving lessons yet.

Would this go against me? Is it a must have?

It depends on the gig, I guess. Some jobs will require a drivers license while others won't. If a job is down to you and another guy who has a driver's license, I would expect the job to go to the other guy.

When I was 17 I worked as a runner for a concert venue. My job was to basically do all the crap work that everybody else was too important to do, and that included things like picking up dry cleaning, running to the hardware store, or picking up talent (imagine you're an internationally known musician, expecting a limo, and a dorky kid in a beat up station wagon shows up!!). Without being able to do any of that I don't think I would have gotten the job.

It doesn't hurt to apply, though, and there may be a studio position where you don't have to drive.

It's certainly very useful but there are plenty of runner jobs that don't require driving.

I'm not sure how old you are; for many runner/driver jobs in the UK you also have to be 25 for insurance purposes.

Being able to drive will help in the long-term, but job adverts will usually specify if it's necessary - as long as you're honest upfront it won't cause problems.

I'm 23, didn't realise that about the insurance!

I guess I'll just continue to do more video production related stuff, make money and hopefully soon I can get driving lessons.

Cheers

Sounds like a great job. :D

Best minimum wage job I've ever had!

On that note, though, I would say to the OP that working as a runner can be hard work but it's also very rewarding. You're exposed to every aspect of the production and meet a ton of great people. If you do a good job they'll remember you and that could lead to more work down the road.

I can't speak for London, but here in the States you definitely need to be able to drive to do that job.

Hell, my next gig is as an AC for a cable network show, and I'm tasked with driving one of the vans. Honestly, outside of maybe NYC, here in the US it's just the nature of the industry that you need to be able to drive. Notable exceptions (name talent, name directors, etc) but no one who fits one of those would be asking the question. ;)

During my internship I worked as a runner quite a bit, and definitely needed to have a car - but that was on a television show in LA where a car is almost a necessity, and a lot of things needed to be delivered between the shooting locations in malibu, production offices in marina del ray, and post production in burbank. It might be different on a feature production if most of the work is on location.

What about getting a scooter or small motorcycle? I know they have tiered licensing in the UK, if you stick with something in the 50-125cc range I wouldn't imagine you'd have to go through as much in terms of training as a car. Obviously wouldn't work for needing to pick someone up, or anything large, but you could probably deliver small stuff much faster than someone in a car.

Back