• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I have a budget need advice

So I am in the process of developing my first indie film. I am thinking about getting a budget between $10'000-$20'000.

Now every year I come on here and see the latest cameras being pushed. Canon GL2, Canon Xl2, Panasonic DVX100B, Canon 5D..

What is the best camera for me to get that is in my budget. Now think my whole budget will go towards the whole production not just the camera.

Any advice on the latest and greatest camera to get the professional quality I am looking for

Well then doesn't that depend entirely on your other production needs?
Costumes, locations, actors, crew, etc will eat into the budget. How are we supposed to know how much remains?

As above.

But at that budget, I'd guess the answer is none. I presume people aren't gettnig paid? Make friends with a good DP (you'll need one anyway) - they probably have their own camera. If it's not up to par, you can look at saving a fair bit of money by hiring one that will be better than what you could buy regardless.

If you want cinemascope, get a canon. You can use Magic Lantern.

I'm working with a DP on my new project. He has a pretty good Nikon. But I bought a used 5DII because I want to shoot cinemascope. I'm planning on purchasing another 5D as I like shooting with two cameras. It cuts down your shoot day in half, as you need less takes for a satisfactory take. But you can't light to your satisfaction as two cameras shooting at the same time will make it difficult to hide your lights.

I'd go with two canons just for magic lantern. If you reduce your number of shoot days, you'll have to feed people for less number of days. You'll recover your costs on food alone, on a feature.

I don't think you should buy any of those cameras. You should hire a DP, and at your budget-level, they'll bring their own camera (probably a DSLR, or equivalent).

Of course, this all depends on what type of film you're shooting. Short? Feature? SFX? Romantic Comedy?

So I am in the process of developing my first indie film. I am thinking about getting a budget between $10'000-$20'000. ... Any advice on the latest and greatest camera to get the professional quality I am looking for

It's impossible to answer this question because we don't know what professional quality you are looking for? For example, if you are looking to make a professional quality indie theatrical film, then camera choice is one of the least important of the many hundreds/thousands of decisions which need to be taken. If on the other hand you're looking to make an amateur video but with professional quality photography/cinematography, then camera choice does become an important consideration. Obviously though, unless you're loaded or can otherwise afford to spend/loose $10k-$20k on your photography hobby, then making a poor film (of no commercial value) with professional quality photography doesn't make any sense. What is it you are developing and wish to make?

G

Others have pointed out, hire a DP. They may or may not come with gear, but they'll have the knowledge and experience to select what's appropriate for the shoot and budget.

If you are detemined to gear up yourself, and you're started with nothing, then budget 1/3 for camera, 1/3 for lens, and 1/3 for lights.

Oh, and reserve half the total budget for sound. Unless you're experienced with production sound, you'll spend less by hiring a production sound mixer w/gear than trying to gear up, and then spend years honing the craft of production sound. I started as a production sound mixer and quite often, my kit was worth more than the entire camera departments kit. As an example 1 channel of quality wireless with a mid tier lav cost more than most of the lens I see on indie shoots.

Lighting is also vital. I've seen great looking stuff, well lit, shot on a T2i that smoked stuff shot on a 5D with poor lighting.

Flags, C-stands, diffusion material, corrective gels, ND filters, dolly, jib, sliders, wardrobe, craft services, transportation and insurance all add up.

And don't foget edit and post. For every minute of screen footage, expect to spend 20 hrs in post on edit, color correction, grading, and audio post.

I typically start with the script breakdown, then shot list, and only then begin to understand the requirements for camera, lighting, and sound.

So I am in the process of developing my first indie film. I am thinking about getting a budget between $10'000-$20'000.

Now every year I come on here and see the latest cameras being pushed. Canon GL2, Canon Xl2, Panasonic DVX100B, Canon 5D..

What is the best camera for me to get that is in my budget. Now think my whole budget will go towards the whole production not just the camera.

Any advice on the latest and greatest camera to get the professional quality I am looking for

Back