• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch We tried...

Mate all you need to do is watch every single episode of who's line is it anyway.. I guarantee youl become a comedic genius in no time.

Brew if your up for a collab on a comedy I'd love to star in it, I like to think I'm the master of improv.

Mate all you need to do is watch every single episode of who's line is it anyway.. I guarantee youl become a comedic genius in no time.

Brew if your up for a collab on a comedy I'd love to star in it, I like to think I'm the master of improv.

just watching won't make you a comedic genius. it requires work and practice... and A LOT of it. your first 10,000 sketches won't be good, but eventually you'll get the hang of it, then 10,000 sketches later, you'll come up with good material and audiences will start to consider you "not sucky"

then 10,000 sketches later, they'll start to ask "why is he coming out naked onstage?" to which you'll reply "I figured it would get a laugh."

then 10 days in prison later, you'll hit a magical moment where you'll know exactly what makes you and your target audience laugh, every time. At the exact same time, you'll discern how to read an audience to determine if a certain joke will work.

One time the crowd contained a bunch of jock/athlete types, so we were unable to do a star trek parody sketch we had prepared, nor this "Halo talk show" thing. Instead, we did a football play sketch, and an improvised "schoolyard fight" and the audience loved it.

In filmed sketch comedy, you don't need to worry about that though.

If you would prefer a written sketch over improv, I would suggest getting together with a group at a bar and just joke around, with a tape recorder in your pocket. Come up with as many ideas and jokes as possible, without any judgement. Think about these ideas all day, at work, on a jog or walk, (these scenarios will allow you to flesh out the entire script in your mind before it even comes to paper)

Once you practically have it written in your head, write it down in script format. You'll be surprised how easily new jokes and ideas will come to you. If you're stuck in a certain part, but you're sure a joke needs to go there write "Harpo does something funny" as a placeholder. Or write a placeholder joke similar to the one you're going for, even if you don't have the punchline figured out yet.

Never force it, though. Just develop a system that works, and it'll work every time.

I loved that the solution was to have the character laugh... since you couldn't stop anyway.

The hardest part of improv comedy is believing what you're saying. Everytime you screw up in a live show... what you've said becomes the reality of the bit, even if you've got it wrong. The image you're working off of in your head to make the delivery real has to adjust to the mistake. It has to be real to you, even if the man had a fire this big in his head and was being chased by a baby... that image drives the rest of your delivery. Your disbelief of it, the details you're conveying come from that image.... the parts that make it not fantasy are the parts you describe.

Watch the carol burnett show for examples of how funny improv moments can be, even on a live show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs1ljs5Acig

Back