• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch "Surviving Family" - new trailer

mlesemann

Staff Member
One of the interesting things that I've learned in the past 6 months of screenings (both fests and otherwise) is that guys like Surviving Family better than I feared they might. My caution was partly because movies about dysfunctional families are frequently labeled "chick flicks," and partly because I feared that a female writer/producer (me) and director might not be able to appeal to a male audience.

But the reaction has been at least as postive from guys that see it as from women. Could be because the themes of alcoholism and mental illness are (for good or bad) universal, or because there are terrific men in the movie as well as attractive women who are also terrific actors....Dunno.

But this left me with the question of how to present the movie in a way that's appealing to men (NOTE: Moderator feel free to move this to a Promotional area if needed).
After talking with several guys, I decided we needed a trailer that (1) emphasized the attractive young women, (2) excluded the older actress who is fantastic but not a pull for guys, (3) highlighted a drunk guy, (4) hinted at violence, and (5) was shorter (i.e., under a minute).

Cracker Funk (who also did the first trailer, which I STILL love and will still use) came up with this for us, which we're rolling out today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttM1QM4YYtE

there are terrific men in the movie as well as attractive women who are also terrific actors

:yes:

Indietalkers might not recognize that the lead actor is a daytime TV soap heart-throb. I think that's kinda awesome! But don't let that context mislead you; he's a serious thespian, no question about it. He's currently starring in a major play, opposite Sigourney-mother-fucking-Weaver!

:cool:

Cracker, you're an editing machine! Nice work. It certainly moves along. Any chance of boosting the dialog in the last shot? On my speakers their voices sounded a little soft.

Any chance of boosting the dialog in the last shot?

Unfortunately I don't think so...
It was improvised dialogue that we didn't originally expect to use, and it was boosted as well as we could. We decided to leave it in, as we like it although it's not essential to the plot.

That last shot is my favorite part. I can't boost the dialog, but I can up the gain, just a tad bit. Maybe mess with the EQ for that shot (and another shot, now that I think about it). In the movie, that shot plays out just fine, no need for ADR. I think it's just in the context of this LOUD trailer that it's being drowned-out.

The version linked above is 720p. I need to get Mara a 1080p version ASAP, so I might as well try to improve the audio.

That last shot is my favorite part. I can't boost the dialog, but I can up the gain, just a tad bit. Maybe mess with the EQ for that shot (and another shot, now that I think about it). In the movie, that shot plays out just fine, no need for ADR. I think it's just in the context of this LOUD trailer that it's being drowned-out.

The version linked above is 720p. I need to get Mara a 1080p version ASAP, so I might as well try to improve the audio.

It makes for a nice ending shot. Just kinda tapers off b/c of the low audio IMO. But it's a minor quibble!

It makes for a nice ending shot. Just kinda tapers off b/c of the low audio IMO. But it's a minor quibble!

I love: The music, the pacing, the footage, the color correction! Sets a nice tone that is consistent.
I like: The acting. Seems solid, but I'd like to see more.
I'd like to see: More character development. You mentioned that you were trying to be more appellate to men, but I'd really like to see who these characters are just a little more especially since its a drama. I wouldn't mind it being more than a minute if it hooks me in with character and plot.

Also, I'm totally agreeing with the ending dialogue. I found myself asking, "Wait, what?" and I think that's the most important part of the trailer because it leaves people either wanting to see the film, or confused.

Nice work!

-Matt Van Howe
http://www.voiceofthevespers.com

Back