TV Pilot Question?

I have one full script and outlines for several more episodes for a TV show that I created (and intend on starring in). I don't live anywhere near LA or NY (but still in USA). What would you guys recommend for getting my pilot considered by networks? What's the process for doing this?

I had thought that I could shoot the pilot locally, somehow send it to networks (but that's where I'm stuck), and if the networks liked it, they could always re-shoot it with professional actors who would stay in the rest of the series with me. Thoughts?

By the way, I do have a lot of local support, so shooting the first episode locally is very doable for me.

We had a recent thread on this, I didn't follow it too closely though.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say if you don't now have a direct connection with someone who can make decisions to consider it OR have a well-connected agent, for all practical purposes you might be out of luck.

Hopefully somebody else here can give you better news, but the gist is this: TV isn't like the film business where great feature films can be "discovered", you really have to have a connection somewhere.

Good luck.

You obviously have no idea how this works. My best advice is to look into NATPE. It's the only realistic way I can think of for someone with no connections to possibly get their pilot in front of people that might actually be interested in purchasing it. Even then it'd be a huge long shot, and you'd likely be paying more to get floor space and set up a nice booth than you will on a low budget pilot.

I've been interested in television for a while too. Based on what I've read from people who are in the business, the best approach is to first get hired as a television writer or more likely, a writers assistant, for another show. You do this by speccing scripts for shows that are on the air now. You then send these to agents/managers/producers who are looking for talent and based on those spec scripts, they will/won't offer you a job.

You should definitely follow the JohnAugust.com and KenLevine.blogspot.com. Ken Levine is a major television writer (MASH, CHEERS, FRASIER, THE SIMPSONS, WINGS, EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND, BECKER, DHARMA & GREG).

I have one full script and outlines for several more episodes for a TV show that I created (and intend on starring in). I don't live anywhere near LA or NY (but still in USA). What would you guys recommend for getting my pilot considered by networks? What's the process for doing this?
1) You write spec scripts for existing hot shows.
2) You get an agent based on those specs.
3) Your agent sends those specs to existing TV shows... but not
the ones you wrote the specs for.
4) You get a job writing one of the two "freelance episodes" of
some crappy show you would never consider writing for.
5) That leads to writing other "freelance episodes".
6) That leads to getting a staff job on some awful show.
7) You climb the ladder of shows until you become a staff writer
on a good show.
8) You get promoted to head writer of a good show.
9) The production company asks if you have any show ideas?
10) You pull out that pilot you wrote a decade or two ago when
all of this started.

I had thought that I could shoot the pilot locally, somehow send it to networks (but that's where I'm stuck), and if the networks liked it, they could always re-shoot it with professional actors who would stay in the rest of the series with me. Thoughts?
Networks do not even look at pilots shot on spec. However, making
an excellent short film that gets accepted in many festivals and wins
some awards will attract attention. I see no reason why someday
the maker of a web series will attract the attention of a network.
Maybe that's one possibility. I know dozens of people who are doing
just that. Who knows? Someone will be the first. It might be you.

There have been a number of shows that made the jump from web to TV. So far, I don't know of any that have been picked up by ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, or CW.

"Sanctuary" was picked up by SyFy
"Web Therapy" was picked up by Showtime (of course it's Lisa Kudrow's project)
"Children's Hospital" was picked up by Cartoon Network (Adult Swim)
"It's Todd's Show" was picked by MEVIO

There are others, but those prove the point. If your goal is to create a show for a major broadcast network, there are alternate methods. If you go webisode, you have to kick ass on the marketing.

@SinEater: You should really consider not being so negative.

Well, if I make it into a feature film to start with, I would plan on submitting it to festivals. And I'm not interested in being a full-time writer. Acting is my thing, not writing. But I did write the show because it gives me the freedom to create my own role and get it out there on my own instead of waiting for a role to come around that fits my age and such. So, since the typical "work up the ladder" route isn't going to work for me (and since I'm NOT like everybody else...) I'm looking for a creative way to get my show out there. And please don't tell me that "that's not possible without a good agent or contacts" or that working from the bottom is the only way to do it or anything like that. Be creative, people!

Anyway, I guess that answers my question. Thank you to the friendly, optimistic people who answered! :)

@SinEater: You should really consider not being so negative.

Well, if I make it into a feature film to start with, I would plan on submitting it to festivals. And I'm not interested in being a full-time writer. Acting is my thing, not writing. But I did write the show because it gives me the freedom to create my own role and get it out there on my own instead of waiting for a role to come around that fits my age and such. So, since the typical "work up the ladder" route isn't going to work for me (and since I'm NOT like everybody else...) I'm looking for a creative way to get my show out there. And please don't tell me that "that's not possible without a good agent or contacts" or that working from the bottom is the only way to do it or anything like that. Be creative, people!

Anyway, I guess that answers my question. Thank you to the friendly, optimistic people who answered! :)

People have told you how to do it.

If you don't like those ideas it's you who needs to be creative, not us.

Personally, I think your best bet is to find someone who is trying to cut it as a writer. Let them take a look at your script and rewrite it. If you're not interested in being a writer chances are a.) that the writing isn't that good and b.) that you won't have the desire to follow the path that Rick has already outlined. So if you can find a writing partner who's interested in the hard slog then that will help.

But there's no 'quick fix' and if there were we'd all be doing it and it'd cease to be a quick fix.

And please don't tell me that "that's not possible without a good agent or contacts" or that working from the bottom is the only way to do it or anything like that. Be creative, people!

Okay, you don't want the truth then. Alright, I'll be creative and lie:

Make your pilot. Heck get a loan and make 6 episodes -- this way the networks will clear their schedules and start bidding for your TV series.

After you've filmed your 3rd episode, take a break and fly down to Hollywood to house hunt. I hear Laural Canyon is nice.

Oh, yeah, make yourself the star of your series -- the actor-writer thing is BIG these days in Hollywood.

:rolleyes:

If you can't handle being told the truth in an online forum chances are you'll never make it in Hollywood.

What I would do since you aren't in LA or NY is make it a web series and hope it gains a lot of popularity and then maybe just maybe some Hollywood folk will see it.

Creator of Seinfeld, was a writer at SNL.
Creator of Curb, was a writer at Seinfeld.
Creator of Community, was a writer at The Sarah Silverman Program.
Creator of Parks and Rec, was a writer at The Office.
Creator of Modern Family, was a writer at Wings.
Creator of The Office, was a writer at The Sketch Show.

There is clearly ONE way to maybe get your own television show.

"Sanctuary" was picked up by SyFy
"Web Therapy" was picked up by Showtime (of course it's Lisa Kudrow's project)
"Children's Hospital" was picked up by Cartoon Network (Adult Swim)
"It's Todd's Show" was picked by MEVIO
While it’s fun to point out the rare exceptions, it’s important to
know the specifics.

Damian Kindler was an established TV writer when he wrote and
produced the web series. He, essentially, followed the standard
path to creating his own series.

Don Ross was an established writer and director when he worked
with Kudrow on “Web Therapy”.

Rob Corddry and David Wain were established actors when they
pitched the series to TheWB.com.

When I said, “Someone will be the first.” I was not referring to
established industry professionals. I meant someone doing what