• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

I have a Kickstarter now!

Let me just describe what this is about if that helps :)

Deep Meaning will be an animated feature film about a young woman suffering from lonliness who, with the help of her teddy bear, attempts to create a beautiful, meaningful opera. The film contains an all female cast and the project has just been launched on Kickstarter, and will be made using Valve's Source Filmmaker and iPisoft Motion Capture Studio.
The goal of the Kickstarter is to raise three hundred euro, a fraction of what other film budgets need, and these funds will be used to obtain the motion capture software so as to create fluid and realistic animations for the film that can then be tweaked with in Source Filmmaker.
If we manage to reach more than our goal, we'll be able to use the extra funds to pay for help such as paying 3D moddelers, actresses and also being able to afford hardware to aid with the motion capture such as cameras, tripods and cables. We have the supplies and support to do the voice recording and the neccessary software to aid in our post production.
With backers that support us, such as yourselves, your investments can earn you multiple rewards such as thank messages, credits in the film, stills, digital downloads of the screenplay and the film itself.
Without your help this film will never be able to be made. If you want to find out more or to support us, please visit: www.kickstarter.com/projects/alanmartinpower/animated-feature-film-deep-meaning

Without your help this film will never be able to be made.

Without trying to sound like a dick, for the most part, you're asking the wrong people. You need to find your audience. Those who will feel the need to have this film come into existence.

Indie filmmakers, tend to have the need to make their own films They also tend to be broke. What little money I have goes towards my family, and if there's left over it goes towards my own films. They're the stories I want to see get made.

Filmmakers aren't the typical target audience of many types of films. This is why most crowd funding campaigns that rely solely upon this site is doomed to fail. You may get the occasional donation from the users here, but you need to get the message out there.

Last point, I'd suggest digging into your own pocket for small amounts like 300. Build your audience. Wait for an amount that is more than a few shifts of casual work.

I wish you luck with your film.

OK I hear, what sites would you suggest I branch out to?

Unfortunately my own pocket is empty and work comes and goes.

If i get one euro from one user though, it will mean a lot.

I feel the same way.

It's so little money that I don't feel the need to give. When I was
starting out there was no such thing as crowd funding. My first film
cost $800 - at a time when I was making $2.10 per hour - and I
saved up the money to make it.

I suspect the strangers are not going to give you much money.
Friends and family are you bet option, I think. If you were to kick
in £100 it seems it should be easy for you to get 10 people who
know you to kick in £20 each.

You use "we" in your description. Why hasn't each person involved
already put in £10?

what sites would you suggest I branch out to?
That's not an easy question to answer and often requires expertise that is currently well beyond my own. First you need to correctly identify your target audience(s) and then do your research to discover, where/how is best to communicate with your target audience with a way that is cost effective, profitable and within your budget.

Simply put, a very difficult task.

Friends and family are you bet option
For those without a sizable audience, crowd funding is often referred to as a friends and family fund.

I feel the same way.

It's so little money that I don't feel the need to give. When I was
starting out there was no such thing as crowd funding. My first film
cost $800 - at a time when I was making $2.10 per hour - and I
saved up the money to make it.

I suspect the strangers are not going to give you much money.
Friends and family are you bet option, I think. If you were to kick
in £100 it seems it should be easy for you to get 10 people who
know you to kick in £20 each.

You use "we" in your description. Why hasn't each person involved
already put in £10?

It's the bare minimum of what we need. We don't have paying jobs and we don't have any money to support ourselves. This film is really all or nothing. Friends and family is a complicated matter I won't go into.

That's not an easy question to answer and often requires expertise that is currently well beyond my own. First you need to correctly identify your target audience(s) and then do your research to discover, where/how is best to communicate with your target audience with a way that is cost effective, profitable and within your budget.

Simply put, a very difficult task.

For those without a sizable audience, crowd funding is often referred to as a friends and family fund.

I understand, I know my target audience is film people and animation lovers. That I'm certain of. Thank you.

It's the bare minimum of what we need. We don't have paying jobs and we don't have any money to support ourselves. This film is really all or nothing. Friends and family is a complicated matter I won't go into.

You have quite a challenge. You have no money, none of the people
involved have any money and you can't get any help from friends
and family. So you need complete strangers to give you money.

I have no ideas that might help. But I wish you luck.

Well it's a challenge that won't be given up.
If no one wants to invest in this film then I'd suggest investing in Signe Baumane's film that I posted in the same section.

No, no, no, nit picking is all right and good in this circumstance. I was told to use the word investing because although they don't get money out of it they do receive rewards out of it such as the final product and credits. Am I still wrong?

I didn't elaborate enough on what I said about film people, my bad, I mean film people in general, not just filmmakers but film lovers and people who like watching films. If I'm wrong, please tell me and thank you.

Am I still wrong?
Yep. Those are customers, supporters and donators.

Investors get a piece of the pie.

If I'm wrong, please tell me and thank you.
From a practical point of view, yes.

If a film was able to have a target market that large, the largest films box office would be in the tens of billions. It would mean that your film has a larger target market than the most successful films of all time.

To put it into perspective for you. Do you watch each and every film that comes out? Of course not. It isn't possible. You prioritize. You search for films you'll probably enjoy. Films that appeal to you. It may be a topic, it may be a trending cause, a particular actor, director, producer, studio, genre/sub-genre or some thing. You may like feel good movies or B grade horror. You may like short films or studio high budget low brow blow shit up flicks. Simple films, complex films. You might like all films that contain creepy dolls, racing cars, skateboards or where people get f'd up.

All those people love films. Will your film contain what everyone wants to see? If not, it's about as useful as saying my target market isn't 6 foot under. If everyone was your target market, you'd be funded already.

If we manage to reach more than our goal, we'll be able to use the extra funds to pay for help such as paying 3D moddelers, actresses and also being able to afford hardware to aid with the motion capture such as cameras, tripods and cables. We have the supplies and support to do the voice recording and the neccessary software to aid in our post production.

This seems a little strange to me... So the mo-cap software is €300? Surely you absolutely need cameras, tripods and cables to do motion capture. If you don't raise more than your goal, how can you possibly do this?

That is no real answer.
I'm asking this, because of what I said before: if you are with 5 people it should be possible to work and get that amount together in 30 days.
On the other hand if it's impossible to find work...

Back