Sharp May Launch 4K Sets for Consumers in 2012

With the CEATEC Japan trade show taking place next week, Sharp started ramping up its campaign to introduce 4K consumer TV sets in 2012. The company will exhibit an LCD TV set with a display that promises four times the resolution of current HD panels — which suggests a screen resolution of 3840x2160. That's about 8.3 million pixels, which falls a little short of true 4K in the production and post-production sense, but is close enough for marketing purposes.

Also set for display is a 95-inch Super Hi-Vision (7680x4320) LCD screen developed by Sharp with NHK. Videophiles may bite on the 4Kx2K screens, but news that 8Kx4K screens are somewhere around the corner may inspire some high-end home-theater owners to hold off on investing in higher-resolution formats in the near future.
http://www.studiodaily.com/main/new...unch-4K-Sets-for-Consumers-in-2012_13479.html

An 8K-8' Screen? Gah! I'm thinking they should have invented the 8K camera first, but maybe I missed something?

I'm more interested in a 4k computer monitor. It's ridiculous that monitors are essentially stuck at 1080p; I had a CRT in 2001 with a higher resolution!

Back