[Jul 10] What are you working on this week?

Hired to properly format several screenplays by a novice script writer.
This weekly post makes me realize (in a good/fun way) how odd some of my projects may look, but I really do enjoy all of them.

Hired to properly format several screenplays by a novice script writer.
This weekly post makes me realize (in a good/fun way) how odd some of my projects may look, but I really do enjoy all of them.

Fun or no? I'd be the worst at that, btw :)

Finishing two videos, short film promotion, tidying house. I've neglected the poor thing.

Instead of trying to make a comedy set that lasts longer, now i'm focused on tightly packing as many one liners and laughs as i can into five minutes.

Conquering my crippling depression as well as writing my super duper final draft of my short after a successful table reading. Also getting preproduction stuff started. I feel like I'm walking through cold molasses.

Conquering my crippling depression as well as writing my super duper final draft of my short after a successful table reading. Also getting preproduction stuff started. I feel like I'm walking through cold molasses.

Depression has been kicking my ass for 5 straight weeks. I've been so lethargic.
I bought some C4 preworkout mix and it's a game changer. Finally I'm getting stuff done again.

Depression has been kicking my ass for 5 straight weeks. I've been so lethargic.
I bought some C4 preworkout mix and it's a game changer. Finally I'm getting stuff done again.

I've been miserable for the past 4ish months or so. Getting out of bed and going to work has been hard. But I'm finally starting to get a little energy back.. for now. I need to start running again and taking cold showers (as silly as it seems they work, at least temporarily) That said I have a joined a 48 hour film group that's filming at the end of this month. I'm taking a trip to Chicago in a couple days and I actually feel like I am making some headway into getting back into the filmmaking game. This script I wrote over a year ago has been an albatross around my nect. I was supposed to film it last summer but life happens. After this past Sunday's table read, seeing everyone read it and genuinely laugh at all the funny bits has really perked my spirits up. I have all the gear I need. I just need the cast and crew.

Originally posted by
PaulWrightyThen
: Fun or no? I'd be the worst at that, btw

When the scripts are good/well-written, I enjoy it. When they're lousy, I remind myself that I'm getting paid to do it, so just suck it up :)

For whatever reason (I hesitate to think about it too much!), my mind works in a way that's consistent with screenplay formatting rules/conventions.

I've been dabbling in rescoring, which I never knew was a thing before this week (and found out that Mixcraft lets you view video in time to the score). Going through Hans Zimmer's course on film scoring. I'm also trying out an app called Wysa to help me manage my depression - it's neat. Sort of a mashup between Google Assistant and a solid flow chart for good mental health practices.

Good to hear people handling their depression. Regular exercise really does help, just go slow & ease into it so you don't get an injury if you haven't been doing anything for a while.
And sticking to a schedule & routine with any activity, whether it's taking a shower, walk, errand, going to a park, coffee shop, etc. helps too.

Short Film is done (ish)

Gonna check one last time for any errors tomorrow, then the final render.

After that, I'm going to force myself to never procrastinate again... I'll work on that tomorrow.

Actually turned out to be an interesting week.

Firstly, my old friend Stuart Lock and I are reworking and redrafting some feature screenplays we've spent the last two odd years on, and these are looking more than hopeful.

Secondly, I've been tinkering with, and falling in love with once again, cheap cameras. Lately it's an EOS-M, the first one, bought a few years back with an 18-55 kit lens for £199, while these were still cheap. I'm having blast being more creative than worrying extra features and high-end gear, and loving the real "low-budget indie" look. And no, it doesn't even have ML installed.

Had a couple more commissions for short promo videos (my bread and butter between more lengthly jobs).

And finally, something I'm way more excited about than I probably should be, is a new YouTube Channel, under yet another of my pseudonyms. Basically, it's your run-of-the-mill "film-making advice" channel, but with a difference. I got a little tired of seeing so many "tips for film-makers", "10 mistakes film-makers make", and various other generic and repetitive YouTubers giving very bland, unoriginal, and often unnecessary advice. Added to which, have you ever seen the films that half of these people make? :no:

So I decided what's needed is something a little different, something which actually explains these "tips and mistakes", and why YouTubers aren't the best source of advice (well, except me and one or two others I could name who actually do make decent quality productions), along with some criticism of aspiring film-makers' work and some forms of competitions from time to time (such as the change to win some extra funding for low budget films, free screenwriting consultancy, etc).

Thank G-d Shabbos is here. It's been a busy one.

LOL, you are right: YouTube is full of tricks showing you how, but almost never why.

Rendering a new preview of a timelapse/hyperlapse video. I'm happy how I stitched several shots together. Next week my client will hopefully supply the logos to finish it :)
Time for weekend!
Turning 37 tomorrow.

LOL, you are right: YouTube is full of tricks showing you how, but almost never why.

Rendering a new preview of a timelapse/hyperlapse video. I'm happy how I stitched several shots together. Next week my client will hopefully supply the logos to finish it :)
Time for weekend!
Turning 37 tomorrow.

It's not only the why that's missing (and why a lot of these so called "rules" are silly), but two other things I noticed: Why would I take advice from someone who makes terrible films, and why do they explain every tip with 50 seconds of explanation in a list of 15? No newbie is taking this all in and really understanding it, and certainly isn't going to be practicing 15 new things at once. That's not a learning curve, it's a recipe for disaster.

Good luck on your latest work, by the way!

Sad, but true.
I've written in depth articles for a huge marketing blog in The Netherlands ("The 1,8 million words videomarketing myth" and "What we can learn from 'This is a generic brand video'"). They got less views than:
"5 Tricks in YouTube you should use", "15 Reasons why blabl;a is cool" or whatever.

Btw, I should translate those articles when I have the time.

Back