• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

any try to tell me what made the audio good in this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NwKCTkgTmE

found this video the other day when searching for DSLR horror shorts, i tried contacting the creator but he hasn't been on in a while so I'm trying to see if anyone else can answer these questions.

1. The sound from each cut to the next is near perfect, can't tell the cuts happening, can anyone tell if they used recorded audio on set or if they folyed? and Can anyone tell what kinda lens is being used?

I know no one probably can answer this but the creator, but just trying to see if anyone has any good guesses.

From what I can tell, most of it is production dialog. My guess is most of this was boomed during CUs.

There likely is some ADR when the car arrives since I can't hear the engine noise during the dialog lines.

To me it sounds like the dialog was striped, and Foley, ambient and tone mixed back in.

FYI, Foley typically referred to sounds of stuff, other the dialog.

ADR referred to dialog being replaced by recording new dialog in a studio and then replacing the production dialog with the studio recorded dialog. This can be something as simple as replacing a line or phrase or as complex as replacing the entire production dialog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NwKCTkgTmE

found this video the other day when searching for DSLR horror shorts, i tried contacting the creator but he hasn't been on in a while so I'm trying to see if anyone else can answer these questions.

1. The sound from each cut to the next is near perfect, can't tell the cuts happening, can anyone tell if they used recorded audio on set or if they folyed? and Can anyone tell what kinda lens is being used?

I know no one probably can answer this but the creator, but just trying to see if anyone has any good guesses.

okay, so with ADR do you just record the scene with sound on and then just replace the dialogue by putting the audio clip over the dialogue part? or do you have to just shoot the scene with no audio every time you need ADR and have to foley in the sounds for the background?

and when you say stripped do you mean they had no audio recorded at all and they just made all the background noise, and SFX and added them in?

You should always record production sound. ADR is a real PITA, even for professionals, and incredibly difficult for those without any experience. At the very least you will need the production sound as a reference for doing the ADR.

BTW, most directors prefer production dialog. Even good actors give flat performances when looping dialog.

Audio is going to an external recorder, and hopefully with proper technique you'll capture it without a lot of noise. Then, even when the camera cuts the audio is still form the right take. If you have to record audio in camera, then you can still extend audio from one take and match it with another.

It's all about proper techniques - booming, signal flow and gain-staging during during the shoot, and proper editing, noise reduction, EQ, etc. of the dialog during audio post plus recording good clean Foley with proper perspective, using appropriate sound FX, building believable ambient backgrounds and then mixing it all so that it is seamless. That's what "movie magic" is all about.

If you're asking "how do I do that?" all you have to do is use the correct equipment, learn all of the proper techniques and apply them. There is no magic bullet, it's all about knowledge and hard work.

If you want to learn how to cut seamless dialog get the book "Dialogue Editing for Motion Pictures: A Guide to the Invisible Art" by John Purcell. If you want to learn about performing and capturing Foley get "The Foley Grail" by Vanessa Ament. If you're interested in sound effects read "The Sound Effects Bible" by Ric Viers. They're all very well written and informative. If you want to learn how to mix sit in with a real rerecording mixer - there's no book for that!

Is it just my computer or is the dialogue not 100% synced right? I often see inexperienced DSLR shooters simply hit record on both recorder and camera and not set a sync point (even without a slate, a hand clap works better than nothing). I see varied results, sometimes people can get the sync pretty good, sometimes not. Depends on where the camera is and the level of the dialogue on the in-camera audio I suppose. Frankly, I'd rather sync on a sticks hit (or hand clap) rather than have to spent 10 minutes per clip trying to get the sync perfectly right... Maybe it's just because I've waded through hundreds of S16 takes that have no reference audio and got syncing with a slate down to a science ;)

Back