Help me tweak my current gear. It feels out of whack.

Hi everyone,

First time poster here! Thanks for the hospitality.

I'm looking to start making videos for my small business. These would include solo and 2-person interviews. Down the road, I'd like to record some of my own singer/songwriter bits, as well as some more elaborate vlog-style roundtable discussions (3 person+).

Most shooting would be done either at my modestly-sized condominium, but the ability to shoot "on location" at my office or elsewhere would be nice.

Here's the equipment I currently have.

- Fujifilm X-Pro2, with latest "4k"-enabled firmware.

- Leica glass + X-adapter from my film system. Mostly summicrons.

- A Zoom H6. (Within return window).

- An Aputure 300D. (Within return window).

- A Sennheiser MKE600.

- Some bowens and other modifiers, like softboxes, a "chinese lantern", some reflectors etc.

Here's what I'm unsure about.

1. I love the "cinematic" look of Leica glass adapted to Fuji, but the Pro2 doesn't strike me as the most video-friendly camera. I could swap to the T2, or ditch Fuji altogether? I shoot mostly leica on the photography side, so I wouldn't miss it.

2. The Aputure's high "ceiling" got me excited, but once I brought it home I realized it's probably overkill for my purposes. Should I be looking at a 3-light kit instead? Would prefer to stick to LED.

3. I'm wondering if I should pony "up" from the H6 to the Zoom F4 for the slightly better preamps. I don't mind spending more for long-term growth potential.

Thanks so much for your time, everyone.

Hi everyone,

First time poster here! Thanks for the hospitality.

I'm looking to start making videos for my small business. These would include solo and 2-person interviews. Down the road, I'd like to record some of my own singer/songwriter bits, as well as some more elaborate vlog-style roundtable discussions (3 person+).

Most shooting would be done either at my modestly-sized condominium, but the ability to shoot "on location" at my office or elsewhere would be nice.

Here's the equipment I currently have.

- Fujifilm X-Pro2, with latest "4k"-enabled firmware.

- Leica glass + X-adapter from my film system. Mostly summicrons.

- A Zoom H6. (Within return window).

- An Aputure 300D. (Within return window).

- A Sennheiser MKE600.

- Some bowens and other modifiers, like softboxes, a "chinese lantern", some reflectors etc.

Here's what I'm unsure about.

1. I love the "cinematic" look of Leica glass adapted to Fuji, but the Pro2 doesn't strike me as the most video-friendly camera. I could swap to the T2, or ditch Fuji altogether? I shoot mostly leica on the photography side, so I wouldn't miss it.

2. The Aputure's high "ceiling" got me excited, but once I brought it home I realized it's probably overkill for my purposes. Should I be looking at a 3-light kit instead? Would prefer to stick to LED.

3. I'm wondering if I should pony "up" from the H6 to the Zoom F4 for the slightly better preamps. I don't mind spending more for long-term growth potential.

Thanks so much for your time, everyone.

I think you're right to assume that you could return the Aputure and get a 3-light kit for the equivalent money, and do a lot more with the 3-light kit. That's just my 2 cents.

Avoid the Zoom gear and go for Tascam or Sound Devices, depending upon your budget.

The MKE600 is fine, but you failed to mention what audio accessories you have - boom, wind protection, shock mount, cabling, headphones, etc. Often overlooked but needed.

You may also want to add a hypercardioid mic to your collection.

Welcome aboard VideoPupil! I also use a Fujifilm camera (X-H1) with Leica glass (a 35mm Summaron and a 50mm Summitar), as well as an array of lenses to cover other focal lengths (Zeiss, Voigtländer, Yashinon). I also have a Zoom (H6N) and it serves me well. What exactly is it that makes you feel that the Pro2 isn't 'the most video-friendly camera'? I can only speak for the X-H1, and after a short period of getting-used-to (coming from a Nikon DSLR) I must say it is growing on me. The F-Log and Eterna profile give me maximum leeway in post. It is a very capable camera once you get the hang of it.

Back