What would you do with a months time on your hand?

Well, here's the deal.

I will have september, the whole month free for a project. No school, no jobs, no nothing! Just everyday free! For anything i want!

What would you do with that month? I would love to shoot a documentary! Any ideas?

I can live for free in London and Amsterdam, but would be willing to travel! Any important topics, which i should try and raise awareness for?

Phil

Good question. I would do one of two things:

1. Take that film idea that you want to write/direct when you "make it big." Then make a small version of it:1 month of nothing is godsent! It'll show you that you're not that far from being able to direct something of that scale. It will also serve something like a sizzle reel or a beta for the REAL film once you do get up there. Take your dreams and direct it now. Just on a realistic smaller scale.

2. Take one skill you want to work on, one skill, and focus on improving it the best you can. Imagine if you worked on cinematography everyday for a month. Or worked on just writing, or just lighting, or just special effects, for one summer month. Relax a bit, enjoy the weather, hone that skill at least once a day, repeat. By the end of the summer, you have a bigger confidence in your abilities. Hopefully some demoreel worthy material comes out of it too.

Since you're going to be in Amsterdam, I suppose their recent move to exclude foreiners from pot consumption could be a story to consider. Just remember: pot is bad, bad, bad. Could be an interesting human interest story though, if you're into human interest stories of that sort. I mean, I suppose a person could take a jounalistic approach to it...or a more casual one. I dunno.

That vimeo travellogue short (shot with the 1d Mark IV, lookin' good) is pretty darn neat too.

Last edited:
Back