Banding Vibration on Blue Shirt

Hi guys, this is my first post. I've been shooting and editing for a few years but have yet to have this vibrating color banding issue. Unfortunately it's right across the main subject's boobs and this is a kid's video. (PIC Below)

How can I fix this in Adobe After Effects or Premier? I have 4 videos that have this that are due tomorrow. Re-shooting is not an option. Thanks!

Screenshot-2018-10-10-23.14.43.png

It’s called moiré. It happens when fine-detailed patterns, typically those made of thin lines, overwhelm the resolution of the camera’s sensor. This is often more common in DSLRs than in higher-end cameras. What did you use to shoot?

Did you see this in your viewfinder during production? Are you watching at 100% and on a hi-rez monitor? Some moiré can simply be scaling artifact on low-rez or reduced-size playback and isn’t actually in the recorded image.

If it’s actually been recorded that way, you can try creating a mask and applying a little Gaussian blur over just the shirt. Be sure to apply the filter to the color channel only, not the luminance channel. Kind of a pain to do it, but about all you can do. It’s also going to have limited effect. That looks like a pretty bad case in your sample frame, and you may or may not be able to do much about it.

Thank you, this is extremely helpful. I shot it with a Full Frame Sony Mirrorless. It's odd because her shirt was solid, but the original files do have the issue. It is really bad, but blur and median are helping a little bit.

Solid color, but what about the weave pattern in the fabric? Fine ridges in the fabric can do the same thing as pinstripe patterns.

Full frame mirrorless cameras are not always that much different from DSLR. Also, which Sony? Some of the A7 series oversample, rendering video using only part of the full-frame sensor. This can create aliasing and moiré. So can line skipping from the full sensor, which some of the A7 series will do.

Last edited:
Back