Why works of Steven Spielberg has declined in recent years?

In this decade, Mr Spielberg is no longer the man he was in previous years. The man directing big and great movies like duel, Jaws, ET, Raiders of last ark, Saving Private Ryan, Catch me if you can, Schindler's List, AI has done nothing great and new recently. The bfg was nightmare in selling, I didn't like Lincoln, Bridge of Spies could be much better than that, and etc.
He did duel and Jaws so many years ago, even before I was born, but now, he is less good for that.

Thanks!

This inevitably happens with everyone's work. We all have our peaks and valleys, but mostly, people have nostalgia goggles for everything.

But keep in mind, the great movies you listed weren't the ONLY movies he made during those years. He made some stinkers back then too. And I thought Lincoln and Bridge of Spies were fantastic films as well.

Mostly, people only remember the good

Mr Spielberg is no longer the man he was in previous years.
Perhaps he has advanced beyond your tastes.

Some audiences cannot comprehend a little complexity or handle a little less spectacle.

C'mon, he's 70. Directing a film as he does requires a tremendous amount of work, mentally, physically and emotionally.As you get older you DO want to sit back and relax a little bit. I feel it myself as 60 looms on the distant but much too close horizon. You're, what, in your twenties? Wait until you've doubled that. It gets worse from there.:lol::lol::lol:

I don't think his movies have declined much. He is not making as many as he use to, but the ones he does put out recently such as Lincoln and Bridge of Spies have been pretty good I think.

i also think his 1st half of work was more fresh, original, edgy, etc.

imho-
he got old,
he has changed,
scripts and industry are more money driven..

Do you honestly think that wasn't the case back then?

judging by today's blockbusters,
yea, the "margin for error" was bigger, taking little more chances for more "natural" scripts was reasonable.
so mix that with a young hot Spielberg brought us better movies.
not sure the same Spielberg with these scripts today could have made the same movies.

He's doing what he loves for a living... he once had to please the mainstream but now he's pleasing himself first, art is personal, and one could only hope to achieve as much, The Rolling Stones are also putting out new music, nothing like the past (by our standards), but they are doing what they love for a living. You have high standards as if he is a machine.

judging by today's blockbusters,
yea, the "margin for error" was bigger, taking little more chances for more "natural" scripts was reasonable.
so mix that with a young hot Spielberg brought us better movies.
not sure the same Spielberg with these scripts today could have made the same movies.

You're just remembering the good and forgetting the bad. There have always been hits and misses. Blockbusters have always been 90-95% terrible. Money has always been the motivation.

The Crystal Skull. It was absolutely terrible. Bridge of Spies etc... had merit and there are plenty of people I know who really enjoyed it but Crystal was the worst Spielberg movie I've seen.

Opinion isn't that he's old - just look at Eastwood's movies which are outstanding. I think he's just surrounded by yes-men, not people challenging him. He needs people around him to say 'no' and I get the sense he's lacking that element.

But then again, this is a dodgy movie forum so what do I know? And I'm no Spielberg...

For me Spielberg changed when he started chasing historical Oscar bait movies. When Color Purple got 11 nominations and lost all of them I believe, he seemed to be on a mission to gain the respect of the Academy and his peers. So he started making Amistad, Schindler's list, Munich, and the other movies mentioned here. I prefer the works he made for the fun of filmmaking as opposed to achieving something for more of a political purpose.

I'm curious to see if Christopher Nolan is going to take a similar turn. I'm curious to see what comes after Dunkirk.

There is one surprise in his films, though. He can do better, but doesn't. He puts some things which I don't like such as jokes and sex and his own thoughts in films which don't look nice and the film will be influenced in a bad way in my idea. I don't know why, but he does it.
Of course, his contribution to things like CGI made a very great cinema, no words on that, but I disagree with those....

Thanks!

Maybe if there was some way you could meet him & talk to him, then he might stop putting jokes & sex & his own thoughts in his films which you don't like :)

Well, it backs to the market and not every director could make all of their movies success. The movie might be good, but sometimes the market could be very picky on picking which kind of movies that would be successful.

I know we’ve only got the trailer to go by, but I’d be interested to hear what people think of Spielberg’s Ready Player One so far. I’m digging the overall look and ‘80s pop-culture influences.

Not sure what to think about his forthcoming Halo series, but I can’t imagine it’ll get off the ground anytime soon. Despite the fact they’re insistent that it’s in development still.

Last edited:
In this decade, Mr Spielberg is no longer the man he was in previous years. The man directing big and great movies like duel, Jaws, ET, Raiders of last ark, Saving Private Ryan, Catch me if you can, Schindler's List, AI has done nothing great and new recently. The bfg was nightmare in selling, I didn't like Lincoln, Bridge of Spies could be much better than that, and etc.
He did duel and Jaws so many years ago, even before I was born, but now, he is less good for that.

Thanks!

Well....your right. Steven Spielberg use to be in the middle of innovation, story telling and technology and now he is not. His role as a director has changed over the years to that of a executive producer. The man is 70... can he do better? Don't think so... his competition are David Fincher, Christopher Nolan, James Gunn and J.J. Abrams.

Back