Do a lot of indie filmmakers have distribution before the movie is shot?

I was just wondering if it's difficult for an indie filmmaker to get distribution in pre-production. Out of the productions I have worked on as a boom op so far, after the movie is made, it is never released after and it's kind of a shame really. The movie is just not heard of again, at least so far. Maybe in the future they will re-surface.

But a lot of times movies will have a sign contract to be released even before they are made. For an indie film, it wouldn't be to all theaters, but is it difficult to get blu ray and DVD distribution in pre-production even?

For example, when the new Fantastic Four movie came out, a lot of people hated it. But no matter how bad a movie is generally considered to be, it still has a signed contract of payed release in pre-production.

I was wondering is it difficult to that on an indie production to the point where they will go ahead and greenlight a movie (the last one I worked on was made for one million Canadian dollars for example), without a signed release date, so the filmmakers are just gambling on hope that it will be picked up, with no guarantee?

wondering if it's difficult for an indie filmmaker to get distribution in pre-production

Yes. It's also harder in pre-production than during development.

but is it difficult to get blu ray and DVD distribution in pre-production even?

It depends on the marketability of the film.

the filmmakers are just gambling on hope that it will be picked up, with no guarantee?

Most do it that way.

Oh I see. I just thought that one million Canadian particularly was a lot to spend without some sort of contracted distribution beforehand or something. I mean they got a grant, but is it often that a grant will not guarantee distribution either? When you say it's harder during pre-production than during development, what stage is development? Just production and shooting?

often that a grant will not guarantee distribution either?

I haven't seen a grant offer distribution before. Perhaps it works different in Canada?

When you say it's harder during pre-production than during development, what stage is development? Just production and shooting?

The 5 stages of film production:
1: Development
2: Pre-Production
3: Production
4: Post Production
5: Distribution

............I mean they got a grant, but is it often that a grant will not guarantee distribution either?..........

Ask them.

In the Netherlands some broadcast networks fund grants, but that means it will be shown on TV. Often after premiering at NFF (Dutch Film Festival), the rest of distribution can not be garantueed.

You know: you want to break into the business with a feature.
We all know that since your first post.
Now you see that just making it, doesn't mean people will see it.
That is one of the reasons people make shorts as well: to build a portfolio, maybe win prizes, so introducing the feature is less cold.

Yep. Hopefully with the current short I am working on I can get it finished and there will be no problems, and I can add that in.

So basically after getting the grant then, it's quite common to make the movie, and just shop it around then once it's finished, hoping it will be picked up?

Last edited:
it's quite common to make the movie, and just shop it around then once it's finished, hoping it will be picked up?

Sure it's common. Why else do you think most films never find distribution?

is it worth it to do it that way?

To invest money, and never recoup that money or gain a profit. What do you think?

You don't already know this and you want to become a producer?

The good news: Producers are starting to get to the point to being considered "talent" when it comes to a value of a film. Chicken or the egg anyone?

Do a lot of indie filmmakers have distribution before the movie is shot?

Depends on how you define "indie"? Some career professional indie filmmakers acquire many millions, even a few tens of millions in some cases, and get distribution during development. At that level, it's not usually as straight forward as it might sound, getting distribution and acquiring that level of funding are usually intertwined. At the lower budget levels, as has already been said, distribution is commonly not acquired before the film is made. There's no absolute rule here though, it varies ... Not an answer you'll be very happy with!

I just thought that one million Canadian particularly was a lot to spend without some sort of contracted distribution beforehand or something.

No, it's not "a lot". I'm currently working on a film (in post-production) which has a budget of €2.6m (about US$3m) and has no distribution. Even films with budgets up to US$5m sometimes have no signed and sealed distribution deal.

Well I guess what I am thinking, for these filmmakers, is it worth it to do it that way?

For the filmmakers? Yes absolutely, they can take some of that money in fees while they're making the film, as it's not their money, they haven't got anything to loose and for a while at least, they even get to call themselves professional filmmakers! Of course, it's not so "worth it to do it that way" for whoever's money it is but that also depends of course on who's money it is and what they require in return. Many countries have state film funds which may have a variety of objectives: To fund films to help the development of local filmmaking talent, to help stimulate/sustain the local filmmaking industry, to encourage the creation of national culture, to promote national culture, to encourage international co-productions, to encourage foreign filmmakers to come to their country to make films or any combination of the above. Commonly, these film funds do not require a distribution deal or indeed any repayment of the funding awarded. Of course, private, commercial film investors will not only expect repayment of the funding but also to make a profit and that means a distribution deal or at the very least, a high probability of one.

I have to echo what sweetie has basically said. You have another thread going about should you do anything else apart from just being a producer. In your case, the answer is "yes, definitely"! Not already knowing the above basics, using that plus a great deal more knowledge to actually acquire funding and then making sure the completed film actually fulfils the requirements/objectives of whoever you get the funding from, means that all you are doing is just crediting yourself as Producer but not actually fulfilling the vast majority of the role of Producer. That part of the role which requires the most time, effort, experience, knowledge and acumen! All you'll be doing are a few of the most menial, relatively simple and easy to complete organisational/logistical tasks. In other words, very little at all and therefore "yes", you could easily take on some other, more meaningful filmmaking roles. Alternatively, you could actually find out what the responsibilities of a producer are, gain the knowledge/experience/skill to do them, actually fulfil those responsibilities competently and then you wouldn't have time to take on any other roles!

Sheesh H44, how long have you been here, how long have you been trying to make films? Some/many of your questions indicate that in all that time you've hardly progressed beyond the level of knowledge of a complete filmmaking beginner.

G

Last edited:
I was just wondering if it's difficult for an indie filmmaker to get distribution in pre-production. Out of the productions I have worked on as a boom op so far, after the movie is made, it is never released after and it's kind of a shame really. The movie is just not heard of again, at least so far. Maybe in the future they will re-surface.

But a lot of times movies will have a sign contract to be released even before they are made. For an indie film, it wouldn't be to all theaters, but is it difficult to get blu ray and DVD distribution in pre-production even?

For example, when the new Fantastic Four movie came out, a lot of people hated it. But no matter how bad a movie is generally considered to be, it still has a signed contract of payed release in pre-production.

I was wondering is it difficult to that on an indie production to the point where they will go ahead and greenlight a movie (the last one I worked on was made for one million Canadian dollars for example), without a signed release date, so the filmmakers are just gambling on hope that it will be picked up, with no guarantee?

almost none

Back