• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Two Minute London-Based Romance :)

Wow. That was awesome if you shot this yesterday and edited it by today.

I have a few suggestions on the VO (voice over. Voice that comes in as narration from someone who is not on screen):

Make their voices live in their own space. Don't record them outside - make the listener feel it's voices from inside their heads.

Check this short project done 5 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

See how the voice has it's own space? I wanted to make the listener feel like the guy was whispering into your ear real close/intimate. And the ambiences are whispy and tons of verb. That's more like how I would treat this short film.

I would smooth out the fade in/outs of the ambiences you do have in there, like the ending ambience. Also the beginning one. Possibly a few piano notes could add to the mood? Nothing big, something small and special - heartfelt.

Also, after the very first shot, it shows someone in a white shirt in the middle of the screen - I immediately thought this was your protagonist. Then it showed a cute couple all around London. Maybe show a bigger shot of a crowd not focused on anyone? That unless you were pulling a Peter Jackson or Steven Spielberg and that's YOU in there - hehe.

Great job!

Last edited:
hey

hey, thanks for your feedback. i don't disagree with any of them - and i was aware of the faults you mentioned but, y'know, we shot in four hours, we couldn't find a quiet space to do VO; we just did it how we did it. it bothers you, as a filmmaker, but by and large, people will be swept up in the London-stuff and won't worry too much about the audio. but yeah, it's rough and unprofessional, i get that, but at the same time - i'm not too worried. it felt right to do it this way, this time. it is what it is :) 4 hour shoot on a very old sony handycam in the midst of london...... :)

as for not picking out the protagonists.. again, you're totally right - but y'know, i like it, it felt right to shoot this way-- if a quarter of viewers don't get it, no worries, it's just a two minute piece of art; the looseness and lack of 'professionalism' or whatever, i think to many, can be endearing :)

dan

Thanks!

I like yours too. I didn't say it was unprofessional at all! I like it a lot.

So is that you in the white shirt or were you holding the camera?

Very good proposal, very good shooting, I really liked it.

I would just make closer shots, with unfocused background, on the majority of scenes, to create more intimacy, like the world doesn't matter when the couple is together.

I feel the pace in some scenes could be slower too.

Just my 2 cents, but I really liked the "no dialog" movie, it's my preferred way to make.

I dig it. Love the style; light, airy, observational. I'll echo the idea of getting some more closer shots to cut in, the long wides are nice, but I missed the punctuation of the close ups.

I thought that was very well done. A little camera shakiness...and I would have loved the ending a bit longer - you know, the girl walking away and then lost into the crowd (not too much longer but long enough so that she becomes one of many people)

Wow. That was awesome if you shot this yesterday and edited it by today.

I have a few suggestions on the VO (voice over. Voice that comes in as narration from someone who is not on screen):

Make their voices live in their own space. Don't record them outside - make the listener feel it's voices from inside their heads.

Check this short project done 5 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

See how the voice has it's own space? I wanted to make the listener feel like the guy was whispering into your ear real close/intimate. And the ambiences are whispy and tons of verb. That's more like how I would treat this short film.

I would smooth out the fade in/outs of the ambiences you do have in there, like the ending ambience. Also the beginning one. Possibly a few piano notes could add to the mood? Nothing big, something small and special - heartfelt.

Also, after the very first shot, it shows someone in a white shirt in the middle of the screen - I immediately thought this was your protagonist. Then it showed a cute couple all around London. Maybe show a bigger shot of a crowd not focused on anyone? That unless you were pulling a Peter Jackson or Steven Spielberg and that's YOU in there - hehe.

Great job!

Is it me? What happened to the short???

Back