Canon XF100

hi gang, currently looking into getting a canon xf100. the main purpose for which is i want a video camera that can shoot at 50meg 4:2:2 and is as cheap as the xf100. has anyone here used this camera before or could make any recommendations

many thanks
Liam

Can I ask what your intended purpose is for this camera?

The reason I ask, is because it has a 1/3" sensor. Which is great for reality type run and gun shows, where you want everything in focus. But if your intended purpose of for narrative type films, I wouldn't recommend it. It can't achive that shallow depth of field that many film makers strive for.

If the main reason is simply 4:2:2 50mbs, and not necessarily the traditional "video camera" form factor. I might recommend the soon to be released Blackmagic Designs Pocket Cinema Camera. It shoots 10bit 4:2:2 220mbs Prores video, as well as a compressed lossless DNG raw. It's $995 (US dollars), and that would leave room in your budget for lens and support gear. It has a S16mm size sensor. Although it is not called pocket sized for nothing. It's a hair bigger then an iPhone. I have preordered one for myself.

Last edited:
im looking to shoot doc films for broadcast and run and gun type productions. i usually shoot on a dslr 550D to be exact, which i've used for tonnes of productions from run n gun doc's to drama and promo.

While I can't comment on this specific camera, I spent a great deal of time, many years ago, with the Canon GL1. Which I think is pretty much the Earlier SD version of this camera. Loved that camera. I had given up video for many years, and when I returned about 3 years ago, I started looking for the "HD" version of GL1, and my research led me to this camera. But I was looking for more of an indie narrative camera, and eventually got in to bigger sensor cameras.

For your intended purpose, I think the canon is a great camera. But can't speak from experience.

I am a total newb, and I have never used anything else, but yes, I have been pleased. If you do your homework and go into the purchase very cognizant of its small sensor, single lens, and low light limitations, you probably won't be disappointed. Out of the box it shoots pretty flat, so if you don't want to take advantage of that extra leeway in post, you can load an SD with just about any saved presets you want to bake in the look you desire. Some complain about the clunky menu, but since I have never had anything that gave me this much control before, I'm just happy to be able to have so much control, even if I have to go through a few menus to get it all. Plus you can reprogram the buttons a little if there are other things you'd rather have at your fingertips. I like the built-in zebra and peeking, too. If you want to do any hokey night-vision "ghost-hunting" stuff, that is really fun, too, with near-broadcast-quality results. To get the slightly shallow dof shown in those other videos you have to be far away and zoom all the way in. I know some folks have had the XF300s and downsized to the 100s just to be able to do more run-n-gun guerilla and documentary shooting.

Back