Best Gear for One-Man Crew?

hey all--

I've been trying to build a one-man crew rig with my Sony HXR-MC50U based on what Mike Figgis is using here

I've been recommended the Azden 330LT On-Camera Dual Bodypack System - but has since heard that Azden is poop.

My questions are:

1. If I go instead with two Sennheiser EW 100 lav mics - how do I mount the receivers to the camera?

2. Does anyone have any alternative ideas for one-man crew setups?

Thanks!

Last edited:
zeppo - Here is how I mount two receivers and a recorder on my hot shoe plus a $9.50 Adorama C bracket:

S1010004.JPG

A whole lot less expensive than a $278 Fig Rig or even an $85 Fig Rig knock off :)

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi zeppo - I use a couple of inexpensive VHF wireless mics for on camera narration and interviews. One is the Azden WMS-PRO and the other is the Audio Technica Pro88W.

I stay within a few feet of the camera, so I have had no issues with static or RFI. For example - I used the Azden for the first 1:49 of this video (the rest is the built-in mic on my backup camera): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHlJ2cPGO-U

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

what is that eyecup! How does it work on the GH2?

It is the only thing from Zacuto that I can afford :) Turns out that Zacuto's eyecup, included in the $11.40 Zacuto Z-Finder protective upgrade, fits the GH2 EVF quite well and will stay on until you pull it off. I love this eyecup - it really makes a difference on sunny days. Sadly, the preview button and the LCD are blocked when the eyecup is in use. Worth the hassle for less than $12, though.

Cheers,

Bill

Liam - Mirrorless camera like the GH2 don't have the "mirror lock up" problem that DSLRs have with blocking the light to the viewfinder in video mode. The GH2's viewfinder works just fine in video mode because it is a DSLM (where "M" is for mirrorless), not a DSLR.

When I had my T2i, I was absolutely shocked when the viewfinder went black when I switched to video.

Because Canon has sold so many "video" cameras with this malfunction, people think it's normal :)

Cheers,

Bill

LCD viewfinder just arrived. bought a ggs clip on screen protector for the viewfinder bracket to fit on.... in turn that fits nicely over the stick on screen protector i bought about a year ago.... should be bullet proof now

viewfinder is good tho

Back