Terry Rossio: Savvy Populist or Outrageous Hack?

rayw's OCD formatting FTW!

Brian, Brian, Brian. There's only one, single reason I started this thread -- because you dared me to. No ax, no bitterness, just responding to your provocation. I love how you so easily wash your hands of any responsibility. You can't get mad at me for killing the kitten after you dared me to shoot the kitten.

Why are you so anti-criticism? I'd hate to have to give you feedback on your work.

rayw's OCD formatting FTW!

Why are you so anti-criticism? I'd hate to have to give you feedback on your work.

Criticism is great, baseless, poorly informed, and mean spirited dumping isn't. Stating opinion is great, stating opinion as unequivocal fact isn't.

Yeah, I shouldn't have brought it up but you were already shitting on him in the Amy thread; I assumed most people respect Terry for his contribution to film and more importantly for the free help he's provided to thousands of filmmakers over the years.

Last edited:
What else are reviewers supposed to go by, if not the finished product, on-screen...? Their job is to review the movie, not the movie that could have been made from the original script...

gelder

My point was that the "blame" needs to be spread, not heaped on a writer's head. If you're not privy to the whole story behind a project, then don't point fingers. I've seen reviewers use plenty of caveats in their critiques that make it clear the final project is a pile of crap, but that there's no clear individual crapper. It's like an architect handing over a brilliant blueprint of a building, only to have the builder, electrician, plumber, painter and landscaper screw it up beyond all recognition and then complaining to the architect that he sucks.

Of course, if you're someone like M. Night Shyamalan, and are the writer and director and hold all creative control in your hands, then by all means, don't complain when you get tarred and feathered.

:D

At risk of belaboring what constitutes a credible measure of "quality" film product, on another project I was doing some 'light' investigation and noted the corrolaries:

http://www.the-numbers.com/market/Genres/RomanticComedy.php
Box Office History for Genre - Romantic Comedy
Goto "Year by Year Market Share / Top-Grossing Movie"
2011 Just Go With It $80M budget = $214M gross = 18% "Rotten" rating on Rotten Tomatoes
2010 Valentine's Day $52M budget = $216M gross = 18% "Rotten" rating on Rotten Tomatoes
2009 The Proposal $40M budget = $317M gross = 44% rating on Rotten Tomatoes
2008 What Happens in Vegas... $35M budget = $219M gross = 28% "Rotten" rating at Rotten Tomatoes
2007 Knocked Up $30M budget = $219M gross = 90% "certified fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes (FINALLY! A positive review!)
2006 The Break Up $52MJ budget = $204M gross = 34% rating on Rotten Tomatoes

I'll take cash. :D

Back