• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

My Auto Biographical Script

Hello there fellow screenwriters. I'm in the middle of making a film with an interesting story behind it and I wanted to share it with the community, and also hear if any of you guys have had a similar experience.

So right now I'm a senior in high school and I'm enrolled in the advanced film class. Now normally I produce tons of short scripts and films for this class no problem because I enjoy making them. But recently i hit a rough patch, where I wasn't writing or doing anything. My teacher noticed that something was wrong with my work ethic and he asked me what was going on. I explained to him that I had not only been slacking in his class but in all of my classes. I had recently gone through two very emotionally devastating events in my life. The first was the heartbreak from the girl that I loved, and the second was the divorce of my parents. As a writer I believe that we are usually more emotional than the average joe and these events left me emotionally numb. I couldn't concentrate on any aspect of my life for weeks.
After I explained this to my teacher, he was very sympathetic, but he also explained that I needed to make another film in order to get a good grade. So, that night I went home and I poured my heart out onto a script. It felt amazing. Now, it wasn't a straight up auto biography about my life. It was a story I made from scratch but the characters and themes were taken directly from my life. It is essentially about the pain that I am feeling and the bad ways that I try to deal with that pain.
The title of the script is "Temporary Happiness", not only is it one of the best scripts that I have written, but it took me the shortest amount of time. I wrote it in two hours running on emotional adrenaline.
My first day of production is tomorrow, and the way I've gone about preparing it is also new for me. Normally I let everyone who wants to read it have a look. For this film I'm not letting anyone read it, I haven't even told them about the plot. The only people who I'm allowing to read it is my teacher and the two actors who are in the movie. I even strictly forbid my actors to let anyone but them see the script. Obviously this has given the film a lot of hype, which at this point I'm not sure if that's good or bad.
Like I said I start shooting tomorrow. I'm a little excited and a little nervous, I've never put myself out there like this before.
Anyways, if you made it this far thank you very much for reading. I would love to hear your comments on my situation and also if you have ever been in a situation like this, or just any good moviemaking story you have.

If anyone wants to see the script I will post it here upon request

We all go through difficult times. And while it's small consolation, things do get better. The rumblings of the divorce probably where there but there is something final when it finally happens. My thoughts go out to you and your family. As for love, well, you're heart will be broken a few more times I hate to say. But when the right one does come along, it's pure magic. There's a lot of feelings and writing/art/dance/performance are great outlets. I won't say my best writing happens during those episode, but the most inspiration springs out at that time.

I would say, don't post the script. It's not meant for us to comment on. It's for you. It's for us to view and experience. And someone might inadvertently see it and remark on format or story. And that's not important. This is your story. Once you've shot it and made it your own, you might consider put a link in another forum or sharing the script. But for now, I would say your personal outpouring of feelings should stay with you and the actors. It's not open for us to critique or comment on, however innocently, at the moment.

Back