• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Active versus passive storytelling

I'm not sure if those are the proper film theory terms or not, as that I'm an armchair critic/student at best, but they're the terms that made sense to me, so this will make sense by the end. Also, I'm not really a writer (or not a good one anyway) but it seems like this might be a good way of thinking about creating a story. Also: longwinded post. Be warned!

I was having a discussion the other day about the film Legend (one of my all time favorites) with a friend who wasn't all that crazy about it. We are both reasonably intelligent people, and as a mental exercise, discussed what it was that we liked/disliked about it. There were lots of little things, but the big thing in both cases was this: what is not told.

In the film, there are lots of lines of dialogue that hint at deeper stories. There are characters that seem interesting, but we don't really know anything about. Even the main character of Lily has a degree of ambiguity, and a history to which we are not privy (less so in the director's cut and original European cut in which we are told that Princess Lily is a Princess in a conversation that heavy-handedly uses the term "princess" almost every third word). The world is a complex world that we're only seeing a glimpse into; a story that exists inside a larger whole.

For my friend, this is a weakness of the film. They were left with the impression that the filmmakers just didn't bother. They felt that the movie was half-assed, and not as fleshed out as it could have been, and much less enjoyable because of that.

For me, this is the highlight of the film. The film exists not as just an isolated story, but also as inspiration for my imagination. By NOT telling me, for example, where Gump comes from (but is referred to as "foreigner"), I am inspired to create a multitude of possible origins for him in my head. To me, the film provides countless moments that get my imagination going. As much as I enjoy the story of the film, I love it more as a springboard for an infinite number of stories in my head.

By choosing to leave out details, the film becomes an active experience. I don't just watch the film, but I make the world full and rich in my head. Watching a film where every nook and cranny is explored and explained, it requires less of me. The world is fully described without my intervention. Contrast with a film where everything is laid out on the table. It requires nothing on the part of the viewer, so you watch it passively.

Now, this is by no means an absolute thing. One could just as easily be spurred to imagination by films I would deem more "passive". Likewise, one is not required to think about details not given to enjoy a film I'd call "active". Either way, these are not value judgements, to say one is "better" than the other, though my tastes certainly lean towards a more active experience.

There are two elements I think are key to developing a story in this way. First, nothing about the main plot can be left to mystery. It's okay to say that Bill committed a felony in the past (obligatory TV Tropes reference: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NoodleIncident) but if that felony is important to the plot, the audience should know what it is. Second, it should be clear that there could be more to tell. Going back to Legend, when Screwball calls Gump "foreigner", he does it as an aside, but the camera is focused on him. It's not important to the plot, but it gives depth to the characters and the relationship/dynamic between them.

Another good example (yes, I've watched this film way too many times), at one point Blunder says "adios amigos" as being sent to the dungeons by Darkness. It seems like a jarring anachronism. Later, he is reunited with the heroes, who call him "brother" and make note of how he has been gone. He says "we all are barbecue," a word which Screwball does not recognize. Since attention is drawn to this second anachronism, the first seems more intentional. One is left to wonder, where has Blunder gone? Through time? Dimensions? Texas? It's not important to the story of the film, but it provides a jumping off point for the viewer's imagination. You can compare/contrast to the horror technique of not showing/explaining the monster, knowing that the viewer's imagination can create something far more effective than your budget will allow.

Discuss: good, bad, ugly? Has anyone else used similar world-building techniques? Anyone like them, or dislike them, and why? Are there proper film/writing/theory terms that should be used for this? No real questions on my part, just trying to stir up thoughts and discussion.

As an aside, I could probably write a book deconstructing Legend!

I believe I understand exactly the two issues you're identifying and would certainly encourage others to pay as close attention to similar details in both their story viewing and craft.

Issue one is asides, anachronisms, and deliberate incongruities; not to be mistaken as just plain sloppiness or even the director's creative liberties.
A frequent downfall of cinema products is that they take themselves too serious.
They are pretentious.
Why?

Likely because the production standards are below some generally recognized criteria which isn't as subjective as we would like to think.
Fine. Then the director had better acknowledge this deficiency and compensate with something else. My goto is humor.
If the whole situation looks... askew... then just go with it. Have fun.

"Adios amigos", "barbecue", the name Screwball itself is a tip.
Scott isn't trying to make 100% hard boiled fantasy drama.
Nope. He's gonna toss in a little cheddar. And I like it fine.

Now, take THE SEASON OF THE WITCH.
Uh... It ain't no LORD OF THE RINGS.
Why?
Takes itself too serious.

The new CONAN THE BARBARIAN has no self deprecating sense of humor in it. There's no face to oatmeal/gruel shot.
And it's dry as toast.
Technically proficient. Spiritually lacking.

That SUPERVIXENS indiegogo project has a perfect tongue in cheek, fetishist potential product.
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=36441
But if that director tries to compensate a lame story with intriguing composition and technical (semi)-wizardry he will fail.

In PAYBACK JACK my concern is similar.
Once the audience gets beyond the technical what will remain.
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=36318

Issue two is the idea of active vs. passive story telling.
I think some stories benefit from being buttoned down tight, while others from having a few "qualifiers" put in.
I don't think a story should have "interesting" elements thrown in that just go nowhere and clutter up the story.
Too many red herrings and immaterial elements is just rude.
However, I also don't need to be spoon fed everything, either.

Popular in screenwriting and filmmaking is "show, don't tell".
Yeah... well...
Budget, time and pace may very well say otherwise.

I'm cool with the country woman calling Lily a princess.
I don't need to see her castle and credentials.
I'm cool with Gumb being a foreigner.
I don't need the back story and a proper review of his passport stamps.

Sometimes just stating something is just fine and saves everyone a lot of practical grief.

Last edited:
I do like the notion of some things being left to my imagination, of being left open to my ability to read into them and use my own instincts to lead them into whatever direction my mind is capable of putting together.

You're right to say it's a tricky thing to do. Reveal too much, and you ruin the viewer's to take away more from the film that just having a story laid out at their feet. Reveal too little, and the movie feels disjointed, irritating and incomplete. The great ones manage everything.

I wouldn't say "Legend" is a favorite of mine, but I get what you're saying, and I understand using it as a reference for the point you're making. I can easily think of movies I love to prove the same perspective.

I love trying to make sense of mysterious lines.

On my projects, I've literally written hundreds of pages of backstory with only a page or less actually appearing in the script. This is how the writer creates depth in his/her characters.

On one script, our first 'kitchen sink' draft came in at 160 pages. When we trimmed it down to 110, we had a bunch of details that were left open-ended, but not critical to the narrative. This hints that the characters have a history & life which exists beyond the limited time we observe them in the film.

Back