Question about using masks in After Effects

I applied a mask over my footage in AE, and made sure the mask remained over the entire shot and it does. I then rendered the shot out but the problem is, is that for some reason, the mask is off the screen for the first two few frames, after it's done.

I double checked again to make sure the mask was over the video for the entire time and it is. I tried rendering it ou out again, and the same thing happens, where in the first few frames, the mask is gone, and then it appears on. Could anyone know what this could be in AE, that could be causing this?

Okay thanks. Not sure why I am getting this weird stuff. It's still happening for some reason.

I have another question about AE if that's alright, that I cannot figure out. When I add adjustment layer over my footage, to make an adjustment, the adjustment layer is completely white.

I can't see the footage to make the adjustment since the adjustment layer is completely white. Is there a way to make the adjustment layer invisible or transparent, so I can see the footage underneath, in order to make the adjustment?

Unless you make a screenrecording video of your proces we can only guess.
You do something wrong, but we can't tell you what.
The only thing I can think of is that you add a adjustment layer from your project folders instead of adding a complete new one via the same menu as Solids, Nulls, etc.
Older CS version had some quirk with Null Objects like that as well.

What did you do to try to bypass this problem?

It happens because you lack fundamental knowledge of the software and problem solving skills.

Yeah I don't really know the software enough. As for problem solving, I still haven't figured out what the problem was. I did add one from the same menu, as the solids and nulls and it still is completely white, every time i try to apply it.

Actually in my research I found one site that talks about it, and says that the adjustment layer may be going white as a result of combining 2D and 3D graphics. So maybe that's it.

Last edited:
The way to bypass that is making a new composition and putting the current one in it.
Then you can add effects to the whole comp without adjustment layers.

After 4 years you could have done some courses to learn the basics.
Without the basics nothing will make sense.

The way to bypass that is making a new composition and putting the current one in it.
Then you can add effects to the whole comp without adjustment layers.

After 4 years you could have done some courses to learn the basics.
Without the basics nothing will make sense.

Okay thanks. I am watching a lot of tutorials lately, trying to learn the basics, but in the tutorials, they don't address certain problems, such as adjustment layers coming up white, or why when you render the movie, the mask is not on the whole time, even though it is, in the timeline, and things like that. If there are any tutorials that go over unexpected obstacles, I will gladly watch them, just haven't found any that go over all of them yet.

I tried making the new composition already and putting the current one in it, but that didn't help, and the adjustment layer is still white for some reason. But I will screen cast the issue later on, when I am back home and post it for sure.

Last edited:
I could only assume that you're trying to do a 3D comp and it's exporting at 2D which won't show correctly. It's weird. Again, this is all assumptions, We can't know without you showing us.

Okay thanks. I am watching a lot of tutorials lately, trying to learn the basics, but in the tutorials, they don't address certain problems, such as adjustment layers coming up white, or why when you render the movie, the mask is not on the whole time, even though it is, in the timeline, and things like that. If there are any tutorials that go over unexpected obstacles, I will gladly watch them, just haven't found any that go over all of them yet.

Because tutorials don't teach the basics. They teach a trick and assume you know what you are doing.

I tried making the new composition already and putting the current one in it, but that didn't help, and the adjustment layer is still white for some reason. But I will screen cast the issue later on, when I am back home and post it for sure.

Read closer. And think more.
When the old comp is in the new comp you can disable the adjustment layer in the old comp and apply the desired effects to the layer of the old comp in the new comp.
If you need to mask: use 2 layers of the old comp. One with the effects, and the other one without. Which one you mask is up to you as long as it is the top layer.

Back