• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch How's my Ident?

I know it's not the most important thing to be focusing on when thinking about making a movie, but what can I say? I needed something to occupy my brain.

Anyhow, I made this first one a while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7QG-jOxxI8

But a few days ago, I decided a wanted something with a bit more of a retro feel to it. So I created this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfgIcMTCNms

Clearly, this is based on the "Grindhouse Releasing" ident, as used for the "Prevues..." screen in the Tarantino/Rodriguez film, Grindhouse. I think it may be nicer with a dodgy 80's jingle, rather than the projector sound. I'm fairly happy with how it is though.

Any thoughts? Anybody actually prefer the first one? Or hate both of them?

Cheers.

p.s. For anybody wondering, Fleapit is a british term, with essentially the same meaning as the american Grindhouse.

Definitely like the new one better than its predecessor.
It's nice enough, nothing "Ooo-ah!" but nice.
I don't think you'll catch too much grief over knocking off the "reference material."

That's pretty much all I was going for. I just wanted something simple; rough and ready. I wanted it to look like the idents you used to see on old VHS tapes.

Thanks for the feedback!

I do like both. But yeah I think I like the second one best. Music might be nice too. But I do like the projector sound muchly. Nice work!

Thanks for the input, guys.

I may try and rough it up a little more; perhaps skip a few frames (so the image jumps), maybe have a few of the early frames slip out of focus. But I do want it to be fairly clean, not just barely legible. I want it to feel as crumby as those old idents, not necessary be as awful as them!

I'm not too sure about the audio myself. I think I'll decide on that once I actually have a film to drop it in front of!

I actually really like both (like everyone, the second is probably better) and just really like the 'Fleapit Picturehouse' vibe.

When are you going to put something out? Would love to collaborate with you on something, though I'm not entirely sure how it'd work...

Hi Nick! Glad you're feeling it!

As for when I'm actually doing something... After my declaration last year that I was going to make a film, I came to the realisation that, first of all, writing a decent script, as well as going through all the pre-prod takes a lot more time than expected. Unfortunately, that pushed me way past the summer, when I really wanted to shoot.

Anyhow, over the past year I've gotten all the pre-production done, to the point where I'm confident I'll be able to get*it done*this summer. I intend to start around May. As it stands though, the plan is to shoot over a few long weekends, rather than one continuous shoot. The script suits the style fine, so it shouldn't be an issue. Flexibility here is something I'm really keen on. Might make collaboration with anyone other than locals difficult though...

If you have anything you ever need a hand with, let me know. I saw your crew call for a documentary, but I wasn't sure I could actually contribute anything. But, whatever you need, even if it's just a runner, let me know. If I'm free, I'll be more than willing to lend a hand.

Back