Indietalk Youtube Channel - Short films

Why not make an IndieTalk Youtube channel for short films? And there can be a QA test before said short is posted on the YT channel; to set a standard for quality.

That's pretty much everything that gets posted.:) Short films that is.

Enjoy the ride man. Don't try to drive the roller coaster.

I was actually thinking about it as well..

What about some sort of monthly competition on short films, with a winning movie have to be featured on main page of indietalk or something..

Seems like someone was trying to do something like this, can't remember who.

Hmmmm, I haven't searched the entire site, but did I look through every suggestion and support thread before I posted this, and I didn't see anything about an Indietalk Youtube channel.

EDIT: I even googled it, and searched youtube just to make sure it didn't already exist.

Wheatgrinder was doing a monthly challenge a while ago. Maybe thats what you were refering to. But that was back around Christmas.

Hmmmm, I haven't searched the entire site, but did I look through every suggestion and support thread before I posted this, and I didn't see anything about an Indietalk Youtube channel.

EDIT: I even googled it, and searched youtube just to make sure it didn't already exist.

I was referring to the Hall of Fame thread, which is accruing the best of indietalk videos into a single thread, and rating them.

As far as an actual youtube channel, I think that's a good idea as well.

I'm not really sure how a YouTube channel would work? Most people post videos here not so so they're seen, but so they're seen on their own page. We're aiming at a partner account, even if someone is watching content we made, if it's not on our channel then it doesn't really help.

May sound selfish? Maybe. But it's businsess/building a fan base/getting ready for future big promotions and more.

I'm not really sure how a YouTube channel would work? Most people post videos here not so so they're seen, but so they're seen on their own page. We're aiming at a partner account, even if someone is watching content we made, if it's not on our channel then it doesn't really help.

May sound selfish? Maybe. But it's businsess/building a fan base/getting ready for future big promotions and more.

I disagree, I think that videos on an indietalk channel would drive more interest to the filmmakers than posting videos on their own channels in most cases. Call it collective bargaining power, with interest as the item you're bargaining for.

Hmmm, drawing from youtube experience, the audience from indietalk YT channel wouldn't hurt filmmakers personal channels. If it catches on then this can greatly help lesser known directors, crew, actors as they can be seen by thousands of people. If the channel is popular, but all channels start at 0 subscribers, so a short films one has to start somewhere. Imagine how helpful this channel can be for indie filmmakers.

And I don't see them as competing forces. All of your content doesn't have to be on there just a short film. And if people like your content, then they will subscribe to you.

EDIT: Think about it like a festival, except it's a youtube channel. That's how you get recognition by the film being seen and liked by a lot of people. lol assuming the channel gets popular.

I disagree, I think that videos on an indietalk channel would drive more interest to the filmmakers than posting videos on their own channels in most cases. Call it collective bargaining power, with interest as the item you're bargaining for.

+1

Last edited:
Why not just create an INDIE TALK playlist? I don't want the rights to my short films to get tied up with someone else's account, especially with the new AD REVENUE aspects of YOUTUBE.

Anyone can create a playlist and name it INDIETALK and start selecting videos for it.

Why not just create an INDIE TALK playlist? I don't want the rights to my short films to get tied up with someone else's account, especially with the new AD REVENUE aspects of YOUTUBE.

Anyone can create a playlist and name it INDIETALK and start selecting videos for it.

You don't have to activate ad revenue on YT. And the way I see it's just promotion, the film is still yours, and it can be taken down at your request.

A playlist is great. A channel that favorites videos too could work.

It's not as much as who owns the video as who get's ad revenue from it. You do have to activate it, but why wouldn't you?

A playlist is great. A channel that favorites videos too could work.

I'd be for either of those.

It's not as much as who owns the video as who get's ad revenue from it. You do have to activate it, but why wouldn't you?

If it's a playlist or an accounts favorite videos as a list, then the individuals still get any ad revenue from the videos. If it's uploading my (or anyone else's videos) separately on a new account, then I would be dead-set against the idea. Youtube may even flag it automatically as identifying the video as someone else's intellectual property causing confusion and unnecessary problems.

I'd be for either of those.

If it's a playlist or an accounts favorite videos as a list, then the individuals still get any ad revenue from the videos. If it's uploading my (or anyone else's videos) separately on a new account, then I would be dead-set against the idea. Youtube may even flag it automatically as identifying the video as someone else's intellectual property causing confusion and unnecessary problems.

Not unless you flag the video or file a DMCA complaint. And Ad revenue is an optional feature on youtube it doesn't have to be activated. And a channel that favorites videos? I don't see that being successful. I thought it was a good idea to create a channel which if it becomes popular can help indie filmmakers push content out and help in getting recognition. Reason being a lot of indie filmmakers aren't getting noticed, so they really have nothing to lose IMO.

Your questions have all been answered, so the only thing I can think of is that you don't want your content on someone else channel. Unless I'm missing something. If that's the case, It's not bad to think that way, it's normal, and I completely understand. I apologize if this comment offends you. I mean no disrespect.

Not unless you flag the video or file a DMCA complaint.

I have my movies so that any content that matches mine is automatically flagged and removed. If someone tries to upload a matching file, they will get a warning that it is already uploaded on YouTube.

Your questions have all been answered, so the only thing I can think of is that you don't want your content on someone else channel. Unless I'm missing something. If that's the case, It's not bad to think that way, it's normal, and I completely understand. I apologize if this comment offends you. I mean no disrespect.

I don't remember asking any questions.

I am not offended by anything you've said. You are completely right, I do not want any of my content on someone else's channel as an upload because I sell the broadcast and distribution rights to almost all of my short films, so I make money and having anyone else have any level of rights to them complicate matters and may cost me money.

It's simply a matter of personal choice, not right or wrong, better or worse. We can easily get into the land of why I want compensated for my work and other people just want exposure, but that too is subjective not objective.

I have my movies so that any content that matches mine is automatically flagged and removed. If someone tries to upload a matching file, they will get a warning that it is already uploaded on YouTube.

I don't remember asking any questions.

I am not offended by anything you've said. You are completely right, I do not want any of my content on someone else's channel as an upload because I sell the broadcast and distribution rights to almost all of my short films, so I make money and having anyone else have any level of rights to them complicate matters and may cost me money.

It's simply a matter of personal choice, not right or wrong, better or worse. We can easily get into the land of why I want compensated for my work and other people just want exposure, but that too is subjective not objective.
I referred to them as questions because you stated them as answers, and I was finding it difficult to reply to them as statements.

Back