"Mainstream" critique opinions

For the last 2 month I'm working with filmmaking students on their films on various positions. Those people like to talk about movies (obviously:)). Me too. But then I see them saying exactly the same things about certain movies. And it happens that they all watch videos of professional critics, like the Nostalgia Critic or something like that. They just repeat everything about movies after that guy from YouTube. They even copy his words, his ways of speaking and sometimes his jokes.

When I say my opinion about a movie, someone must be like, - "Hey, you're wrong, man! Watch what Nostalgia Critic says about this movie!"... Oh, come on! I respect this guy from YouTube, but my opinion may be different. Otherwise, this is the definition of "opinion", to be personal, not based on someone with authority. Especially when this is just a random conversation, not an official interview.

What I'm saying is, how the hell I can build a network with people, without pretending to worship some guy from YouTube? I've met such a thing in Game Development industry, where the idol was D&D. So there is D&D-mania in Game-Dev, and Nostalgi-mania in Filmmaking? Following the mainstream is okay, but do I have to lose my self-identity to make some industry networking?

Last edited:
Keep your opinions. Don't sacrifice them to appeal to others. Keep your self-identity, put out the best content you can, and market that content to the best of your ability without watering down your ideas or artistic preferences to the point of it not being representative of your vision.

Keep your opinions. Don't sacrifice them to appeal to others. Keep your self-identity, put out the best content you can, and market that content to the best of your ability without watering down your ideas or artistic preferences to the point of it not being representative of your vision.

One of the most important things in Filmmaking is networking. The more people you befriend, the easier it is to get a casting crew when you want to film something. Those who act like chameleons will have it easier to get a casting crew. People always like those who share the same opinions and behavior as they do. This is the dilemma.

Yes men culture is everywhere. C'mon guys, for centuries our western education and societies have rewarded homogeny and obedience, not such free thinking 'radicalism'. We all want to be part of something bigger than ourselves, and nobody wants to be the one left on the bench.

Sadly, life is a popularity contest, and most of us never realise the way the human condition traps and herds us.

Don't be one of the sheeple!

just give them that good will hunting speech about an education they could have gotten at a library/youtube

Don't worry.
I tell you a secret: it is possible to work with people who have different opions about certain movies.
As long as you have the same goal on set.

One of the most important things in Filmmaking is networking. The more people you befriend, the easier it is to get a casting crew when you want to film something. Those who act like chameleons will have it easier to get a casting crew. People always like those who share the same opinions and behavior as they do. This is the dilemma.

Sure. One of the most important things for filmmaking is networking. Though instead of reaching out to other people strictly focusing on film, you may want to reach out to the wide artistic community of freethinkers who don't conform to trends or ideas that don't represent them... or don't let trends or ideas easily define them. Though to tell you the truth, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the dilemma you're facing. Just because you disagree with someone's opinions about film doesn't mean you should necessarily write them off entirely. Unless of course they're going to judge or reject you for disagreeing with them. Then I advise to avoid those people.

just give them that good will hunting speech about an education they could have gotten at a library/youtube

What do you think is better, to be the right one, or to be the smart one? I can tell them what I think about their "education", but should I? :)

Don't worry.
I tell you a secret: it is possible to work with people who have different opions about certain movies.

Of course it is possible. Everything is possible. But people's top priority is to collaborate will people with the same opinions as theirs. This is more comfortable

Sure. One of the most important things for filmmaking is networking. Though instead of reaching out to other people strictly focusing on film, you may want to reach out to the wide artistic community of freethinkers who don't conform to trends or ideas that don't represent them... or don't let trends or ideas easily define them. Though to tell you the truth, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the dilemma you're facing. Just because you disagree with someone's opinions about film doesn't mean you should necessarily write them off entirely. Unless of course they're going to judge or reject you for disagreeing with them. Then I advise to avoid those people.

Well, I've seen SOOO many people that judge by that criteria.
You know, I come from the area of Video Game-Development. No, not as a career (not yet). I just work on something my own, with other 3 ppl, after I finished studying it in the University. So, the point is, that like in filmmaking, people in game-dev speak about games. When people see that you don't like what they do, and don't laugh on their jokes, they are unlikely to choose you to collaborate with.

What do you think is better, to be the right one, or to be the smart one? I can tell them what I think about their "education", but should I? :)

Well damn, how do you like those apples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U4Avc7K0lY

Don't worry.

Is this really a big deal to some people? I directed a shoot and me and the actors got into a conversation that lead to me telling them that I am one of the very few people who was disappointed in A Clorkwork Orange, but that didn't stop them wanting to shoot.

Is this really a big deal to some people? I directed a shoot and me and the actors got into a conversation that lead to me telling them that I am one of the very few people who was disappointed in A Clorkwork Orange, but that didn't stop them wanting to shoot.

Yes, one of my only friends into film won't work with me because we have such different opinions

headdesk.jpg

Blimey, really?

Last edited:
When you're a big professional, nobody's gonna care what your opinions are. The questions begins when you're not, and when there are many just like you, non professionals, who have been in some productions as Co-Something. Or even when you are an established Camera or Sound Operator or something, but not yet a professional, and there are enough people to replace your skills. Oh, and of course all this relates not to a current set where the debate occurs, but to future productions.

Back