Revolutionary DeepFake Technology

sfoster

Staff Member
I only just saw this for the first time, it's amazing.
There are so many implications for the future of film, television, and adult content.

No politics please the discussion is about DeepFake technology
I assume everyone is familiar with the Baldwin impression and with the united states president so this is an excellent example to demonstrate how the tech works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoc2RISoLWU

We can retroactively take biopic films and literally replace the actors face with likeness of the person the film is about. It'll be like people really star in films about their own life.

That's incredible.
What are your thoughts about this revolutionary new tech?

Together with morphcuts and voice editing deepfake can be a terrible propaganda tool when perfected.
It will deepen the distrust towards media and it might even be used as an excuse when real events are framed as deepfake fake.

It will also enhance animated characters tremendously making them even more believable than facetracking can do.
On creative levels it is incredible and I'm glad we all know now that it exists.
Imagine this would exist secretly being used by an evil dictator or a criminal mastermind like in James Bond movies.

About reviving dead actors: that will most likely be a legal issue that needs sorting out.
I hope it won't come that far that new faces won't appear on screen anymore, because they keep using the favorite faces. (Yes, I know, I like to extrapolate exponentionally to think about possible consequenses :P )

About reviving dead actors: that will most likely be a legal issue that needs sorting out.
I hope it won't come that far that new faces won't appear on screen anymore, because they keep using the favorite faces. (Yes, I know, I like to extrapolate exponentionally to think about possible consequenses :P )

If we could get a realistic looking young Harrison ford for this upcoming han solo movie audiences would eat it up.

But yeah youre right about new faces... hugh Jackman could sign over his likeness as wolverine for eternity and never have to actually play the role.

We can retroactively take biopic films and literally replace the actors face with likeness of the person the film is about. It'll be like people really star in films about their own life.
That'll be interesting & weird, they can seem more true, even if a biopic's not completely accurate. Reenactments in biography/crime shows could use Deepfakes instead of lookalikes. It can be used to fake evidence in court, or fuel rumors that a dead person's still alive.
Hugh Jackman could sign over his likeness as wolverine for eternity and never have to actually play the role.
Ya, or even just do it himself for 20+ more years.
And it needs careful sensitivity. Johnnie Walker used a CGI Bruce Lee in their commercial & offended many fans because he purposely avoided alcohol in life.
deepfake can be a terrible propaganda tool when perfected. It will deepen the distrust towards media and it might even be used as an excuse when real events are framed as deepfake fake.
Ya, this can be used to recruit people for armies, or start wars.

Ya, this can be used to recruit people for armies, or start wars.

Ultimately: yes.
But just inciting people to vote against their own interest can also be very lucrative.
This technology makes it possible to fool more people and at the same time cast more doubt on credible sources.

Oh. My. Word. Just started finding out about Deep Fakes.

Can't help but think this will be another case of technology far exceeding social, moral, and legal frameworks.

Can it be used for fun? Sure, absolutely.

Can it be used to make it seem VIPs have done something that could get them fired or cause wars? Sure, absolutely.

The potential for mis-use is absolutely shocking.

Just because this looks accurate to the human eye it doesn't meant there aren't software artifacts.
I bet there is a way to analyze video with software and detect if it was modified or not.

Also keep in mind that this only changes the face and not the voice.

Back