YouTube Let's Plays?

I'm not so much a filmmaker as an editor. I don't really create anything for any other reason than to have footage to edit. But being in film school means everything I shoot is for class, and I have no time to do extracurricular at a rate that would be fast enough for me to put out shorts like I want to. So, I've started a Let's Play channel for various games, just to have footage to edit and something entertaining to put out. I was wondering if any fellow student or indie filmmakers have had a similar dilemma? Not enough time to do the work you want, or not enough demand for your particular skill, so you resort to creating something else just to have a use for that skill?

And if anybody's interested or has the time to give feedback, I'll link the YouTube channel. (Not going to spam the link unless somebody wants it. :D )

Hmm, I had to look up what a Let's Play is. :)

How do you find enough time to play videogames to make Let's Play walkthrough, and not have time to get an entry-level editing gig. Even for one of those min-wage stock footage online editing places.

You have any EVE Online Let's Plays, btw? :bag:

Acually never played EVE. Might start, but I don't have the money for a subscription service or anything. Had to let my Xbox Live Gold run out this year... :( So, for now, it's just free games.

And as far as not having time, I have class every day from 9-5, including saturday, and no place that would hire an editor would like those hours. I have had an offer or two I had to turn down because of it, and my part time job was getting in the way of sleep, so I had to let that go too. Now it's just class and whatever else I can squeeze into my days. Which means I end up squeezing too much in. My channel has about 20 videos on it, and that's just from November, and because I had a week off in between classes to build up that buffer. And I pulled 3 all nighters this past week, so between that and being up till 5 am to edit the next two videos, I'm beat.

Back