what format, what format?

Hello, I started corresponding with a local who has lots of experience behind the camera about a short film I am trying to put together. I told him I was going to buy a digital or dv camera and use that but he said that the depth control and exposure latitude or something will lack. I have only experience with low end hi8 so I am trying to squeeze a solid suggestion for a camera and lighting set up out of him, this is what I got.:

"There are a few choices, some DVCAM or DVCPRO cameras as well as IMX/Digibeta, that would run from $400 - $1000/day with the usual basic accessories (tripod, monitor, batteries, etc.) These are all in that 2/3" CCD range, so you get the benefits of depth of field control and increased exposure latitude. Of course, you would then need an editing facility that can handle the tape format these cameras use, or to rent an appropriate deck. "

out of those camera suggestions, which is the most commonly used and do you think would serve for a short film which I want to be professional enough for major festivals?

as far as lighting goes he suggested this:

"This would be more along the lines of some 575s and 1.2 Ks, as well as 1000-2000W tungsten and an assortment of smaller lights. These are the largest lights that can be plugged into a standard wall outlet - any larger and you need a generator. Depending on the location you can also get a tie-in, which may let you run a 2.5K or a 4K, but usually only one. "

my film is mainly house interior, barn interior, barn and field exterior. I want to use shadows to my advantage and am more cocerned about atmospheric lighting as opposed to total realism. That said, how many 575-1.2 k's do you think would do the trick, as well as how many of those smaller lights, just so I can get a general idea of my lighting package.

Thanks a lot!

Digibeta's a good choice.

How much do you want to spend though? How many days are you going to be shooting? You could probably buy yourself a nice 1/3" camera for the rental price which would last you quite some time. In fact there are several HD cameras that are going to be announced at NAB which would definitely be worth looking into.

Good "prosumer" cameras like the DVX, XL2 etc will give you a nice image with decent enough exposure latitude. Of course, getting shallow DOF would be tricky. If you are shooting inside I don't see any particular need for an extreme dynamic range anyway since you will have a pretty well controlled environment.

I was going to apply for a grant, but if the camera is reasonable enough I would probably buy one. What do you mean by 1/3" camera? A large portion of the film would be in a vast field outside a barn. What is it when you want to blur out the foreground or the background?

Thanks.

I think the DVX100a would do a good job, and it does 24P too, which if you do it right could be really really cool. As Shaw mentioned, NAB is just around the corner, this one should be very interesting.

24p is 24 full frames per second. Film is shot at this frame rate and some video cameras can emulate it.

Normal video is interlaced has 60 individual fields which are half resolution that are combined into roughly 30 frames. This makes for a significant resolution difference and motion signature.

NAB is the National Association of Broadcasters. It's basically a trade show which happens every April where all the big guys come to show off their new technology. Many cameras are announced during this time period.

Back