dust on a ccd

I was reading an artical about digital SLRs and the problem of dust on the CCD. I was wondering if DV camaras had a similiar problem. I looked around the internet and couldn't find anything.

The way I figure it a camara like the canon xl with an interchangable lens would have this problem, but a sealed camara, like nearly every other MiniDv camara wouldn't. However even though the lens is fixed the doesn't mean a perfect seal, does it?

So has anyone had this problem with their camaras? How was it resolved, specifically the noninterchangable lenses? Are there folks out there who clean these things for a living like with still camaras?

I believe the canon has a small glass protector that keeps the CCD from being open to the outside when the lens is removed.

Most DV cameras as sealed quite well. I've heard of people having trouble with getting sand in (and behind) their lens but haven't ever heard about someone having to clean a CCD. Anyone have to do this?

Mikey D said:
I was reading an artical about digital SLRs and the problem of dust on the CCD. I was wondering if DV camaras had a similiar problem. I looked around the internet and couldn't find anything.

I would think that SLRs would have a bigger problem than a camorders because of the mirror constantly flipping up and down with every shot. It could possibly flick dust around inside the case.

I would think that SLRs would have a bigger problem than a camorders because of the mirror constantly flipping up and down with every shot. It could possibly flick dust around inside the case.

Your are correct about that. Plus with a removable lens there is just more opportunity for contamination. However the articale I was reading(in the most recent issue of pop photography) mentioned that because the ccd is electically charged that it attracts dust like a magnet. Gotta love that static electricty. It seems to me that even with a sealed video camara dust is going to get in and zzzp right to the ccd it goes.

It must not be that big a problem or else there would be war stories a plenty.

Back