Tarantino Vs. Tarantino

Let's raise the stakes. Rank 'em!

Oooh... Okay!

7. Deathproof
6. Jackie Brown
5. Reservoir Dogs
-3. Kill Bill Vol. 1
-3. Kill Bill Vol. 2 (I have to tie these two... gimme "The Whole Bloody Affair"!!!)
2. Inglorious Basterds
1. Pulp Fiction

??? Django Unchained... My expectations are high for this one!

And let's not forget that Roger Avary had something to do with creating Pulp Fiction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkA3AoD-0oQ&feature=player_embedded

I cool little tid-bit of information, now that you mentioned Roger Avery's name. We both grew up in the same small-town of Flin Flon, Manitoba (albiet different generations). Manitoba is a lack of anything, let alone the co-writer of Pulp Fiction!

Jackie Brown is one of the most underrated films that has ever been made. Everyone seems to drop that one off, but it's merely because it couldn't quite live up to the complete excellence of Pulp Ficiton. I mean, what film could? Samuel L. Jackson gives a performance that takes the lightning and thunder from everyone else (in Jackie Brown).

I never got around to seeing Revenge of the Sith, in much the same way. Episodes I & II told me what I could expect in a followup film - I read the writing on the wall and skipped it. Apparently it was better than everyone thought. Oh well. Still not interested in catching up.

I hear you. But even Episode III wasn't as great as some people make it out to be. Like Eddie Murphy said before, when you've been starving for months, even a cracker looks like a buffet. Episode III was better than the previous two, and it felt like a bigger win than it actually was.

I think that Tarantino-stamp, we see on all his movies, is one of the reasons that I truly do love his films. Because Quentin has a style, something that is lacking in a lot of directors that just turn the camera on and walk away. From the writing to the character choices to the different genre-arenas he's playing in (that boy is like a Michael Jordon, excelled at Basketball, so what can we do next? Baseball? Perfect), Quentin has really mastered it to a tee. That's not to say it's without fault. But compared to a lot of the other crap that gets put out in the theaters, Tarantino can have my wallet.

Let's raise the stakes. Rank 'em! :D

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Reservoir Dogs
3. Inglorious Basterds
4. Jackie Brown
5. Kill Bill Vol. 2
6. Kill Bill Vol. 1
7. Death Proof

Maybe it's heresy, but Kill Bills have to go close to the bottom, even though I truly do love those pictures. They are fantastic. Damn this "Rank 'em!", it's starting to hurt.

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Reservoir Dogs
3. Kill Bill
4. Django Unchained
5. Inglorious Basterds
6. Kill Bill Vol. 2
7. True Romance
8. Jackie Brown

It's a well-noted fact that I'm not really a Tarantino fan. I think he's made some good films but, in general, I don't really like his style.

These are the ones that I actually don't like:

8.) Death Proof- even if I was a fan I think I'd feel disappointed by this.
7.) Kill Bill vol.2
6.) Kill Bill vol.1

These are the ones I haven't seen:

5.) Jackie Brown
4.) Django Unchained

These are the ones I like:

3.) Pulp Fiction
2.) Reservoir Dogs
1.) Inglorious Basterds

The only reason I put IB first is because it's the first Tarantino film I've seen where I stopped constantly thinking of it as a Tarantino movie and just got swept up in a great fun movie.

1) Resevoir Dogs
2) Pulp Fiction
3) Inglorious Basterds
4) Kill Bill 2
5) Kill Bill 1
6) Death Proof
7) Jackie Brown

1, 2, ans 3 were all brilliant in my view. Wasn't all that keen on Jackie Brown. Haven't seen D.U. yet, but very much looking forward to it.

The only reason I put IB first is because it's the first Tarantino film I've seen where I stopped constantly thinking of it as a Tarantino movie and just got swept up in a great fun movie.

Which is why it's a bad Tarantino movie. But still a good movie.

Hey also I don't think anyone's mentioned the segment he shot for the film "Four Rooms".
Perhaps with good reason...

Haven't watched that one yet, but I hear it's not the greatest. Well, what can you do. If I'm ever hurting for more QT, I'll have his little sequence that for a rainy day.

How the heck did I ever miss this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6MUbRZSg80

Shades of nearly every film he's made since.

(Last reel was lost in a fire, btw)

IMO he hasn't been a great filmmaker since Jackie Brown. Everything since then seems a bit like colourful non-sense. Almost like he is paying homage to himself, his writing just lacks that spark that Pulp Fiction has.

I kind of enjoyed the Kill Bills. I kind of enjoyed Inglorious Basterds. I kind of enjoyed Django. Meh. I don't see the genius in them that everyone else seems to see. Just self glorification really. I think he should take longer breaks and pick his film choices carefully. But hey, Im just a dude on a forum and he's QT so what the hell do I know anyways.

Last edited:
Back