Reality of Los Angeless/Hollywood

So I am based in London/UK and a lot of people I meet (including myself) are talking about going to LA cuz there is much more going on and stuff to do and easier to start...

So I just wanted to ask LA/Hollywood based guys, what is the reality in LALALand? is it really that easy? or is it actually hard cuz of the competition?

In UK you can film your stuff everywhere but it is hard to get it noticed...

Just curious... Im thinking of touching to LaLaLand one day so... just want to see if it is actually that "easier"

is it really that easy?

mmmmmm.... nope. :lol:

Aside from the greater amount of (very talented) competition, there's also much less production to go around now. LA, while still big, is not the king that it once was.

It'd be a hard sell to get a work permit, btw, for someone looking to enter the market.

In UK you can film your stuff everywhere but it is hard to get it noticed...

That happens here, too. :)

London is actually a pretty good market, cos it's a massive city (larger than LA) which, like LA, is the heart of its country's film industry, but has nothing like the levels of competition.

I think that, for me, the most productive cities for filmmakers (English speaking only) are London, Vancouver and Austin. Excellent film scenes but without the hectic super-industry vibe of LA.

Glad I saw this post..I was going to uproot my whole life and put it on the west coast..Everyone always hype LA up as the place to be if you want to get into the film industry.

I hear a lot of productions are moving to Atlanta where it's cheaper to shoot (tax incentives)..

Tyler Perry is a good example of the film makers that are working out of Atlanta.

While I personally don't like Atlanta (or any other big city) there are resources there.

One of the advantages of the southern states is that they are all "Right to Work" states which saves money since you don't have to put up with the union rules or high wages. I'm not saying that people should not be fairly compensated for their labors but sometimes costs can be a deal breaker on a project.

My state (Alabama) has tax incentives for big budget films and the cost of doing business here is lower than the east and west coasts. Several of the universities in the state offer film making courses.

The terrain of the state, mountains in the north and flat land in the south, opens up a lot of opportunities for different types of productions.

Back