• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What are youtube's rules on using copyright music in this case?

I am editing a series for someone who wants to put her work on youtube, and she wants me to use copyright music of other artists. Now youtube says that they do not want copyright music on their uploaded videos. However, people on youtube, do this on their channels all the time, and they don't get taken off or anything, so does youtube really care therefore, or what are the rules exactly?

I try to talk her into using original music, but she doesn't have the time to go out and find any for me to put in, it seems. What do you think?

If you use music that is not yours and it gets detected (youtube detects thousands and thousands of different tracks, even stockmusic), the place ads in and/or before you video.
This means the owner of the rights is now monetizing your video.
So you can't make a penny from it, even if it goes viral beyond believe.
It also looks a bit sloppy when you have (random) ads in your video.

The owner of the rights can also have the audio from you video deleted or your video taken down.

If you violate terms on YouTube often enough your account will be deleted.
Famous people aren't treated in a different way. Maybe the treat copyright in a different way :P

I always have my videos whitelisted by the party I get my stockmusic from, so YouTube knows (or should know) that the rights are paid for.

....and she wants me to use copyright music of other artists...

And I want to stop by, and take a nap in her living room, when I am in the area - why not??

On a serious note - its a violation, period. There is free music out there, lots of micro priced music, as I always describe in my posts. Many options are available today for the video indies, why violate someone`s work, if there are alternatives?

Why do "filmmakers" always want to screw musicians?

It's not just filmmakers, people have always thought music is free to share and use. If you try to reverse the roles is doesn't really apply. Musicians don't need to borrow "films" for their songs. But everyone has been in the position of knowing "the perfect" song for their visual work. So it's not that filmmakers screw musicians. It's just that the scenario is more likely happen. It's the mentality of music being free. Which stems from sharing, and dates back to recording a song off the radio with your tape player to get a free copy of a song to sharing music files today. Once that mentality is engrained it's hard to shake that music is not free, so many filmmakers use songs they are not allowed to use.

That being said....

I try to talk her into using original music, but she doesn't have the time to go out and find any for me to put in, it seems. What do you think?

Time is not an excuse. That's like saying there is not time to shoot the film. But then it gets shot. Musicians always get the short end of the stick. Help change that. Make time. :)

Point her to site with stockmusic. Sometimes it only costs you a few dollars to license a track. Check whether you can whitelist the video for youtube through that site and you are on your way to an add free video without pirating music.

Back