Quick question on making a short film

I am in production on a feature length documentary on Medical Marijuana in Michigan. I have tons of footage and have had my preview for my film screened at the Michigan Film Gala. There are some film festivals coming up and I was wondering if it is a good idea to use some of the footage I have to make a short for some festivals. I would use a different title and it would be a different film all together. Also if I use some of the footage in the short would it be a bad idea to use it in my feature film. In the short I would have a complete different structure but similar message. Would love to hear input on this. Thanks

Yes it is all my own footage and the release form is for any use not just my feature film. Do you think that it would take away from my feature film? I have my name out there but need it out there a lot more. There are just so many ways to put this subject out.

What's the purpose of your feature? Are you exclusively looking to get your message out, or are you looking to win festivals or just make money? If you just want to get your message out who cares. If you want to get your feature into festivals having a short version may preclude you from some major festivals. If you just want to make money the short could be a marketing tool to obtain finishing funds for the feature. And there are dozens of other permutations and posiibilities I'm sure that I haven't considered.

Only you can know your goals and desires. Think it all the way through.

I'm a big fan of tell everyone all the time that you are a filmmaker! If you have the rights to the footage, go for it... so long as it's ethical to do with what you told your interviewees.

Back