• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Indie Go Go..

Hey, Paper, -- I have to say, I have no idea what you're talking about. Please elaborate!

Dan

It's somewhat "Taboo" to mention the site directly, not a problem. It seems you where unaware.

As for your question. I myself am familiar with the site, i've happened to donate to a handful of productions i thought worthy. Yet, this subject has been met by many, so do scout around the past threads and you will discover plentiful.

The pitch is key, it's simply the be all and end all. You're aim is to install confidence in the audience hoping to invest, both in the project, and your capabilities. If the production quality is poor in the pitch, you'll have near to no chance gaining any interest.

Tell us WHAT it is you're creating, WHY it is you're doing this and finally, HOW you plan to spend the donations.

(Not to mention what happens if you only raise half of your budget. Where does our money go?)

Track down Sonnyboo's pitch, it's perfect. Not only this, but having the ability to look at his previous work, and the quality on show, would fill any investor with brimming confidence.

It's a tough method of funding, many "Hit the wall" as the donations seem to halt after their friends and family.

Research every past successful pitch, see what they have that you don't.

Your pitch is strong, may i add.

After looking over it again, i notice your minimal donation is $30. I've never went beyond in my donations, $20 dollars, perhaps a little more has been my limit. This could, in no uncertain terms hinder your chances. Playing with ratios as to say strangers are simply going to donate $30 of their hard earned cash is a big ask, $10 dollars however, is reasonable, be it if people choose to donate.

Also, it states that it is to be shown at "Cannes 2011". Is this referring to thee "Cannes Film festival"?

If so, how have you secured such a placement?

It would be a nice touch if the section "In Daniels words" would be a "Video plea". How it is delivered, and the production value deters many from those simply with a strong cover image, from a photographer who seemingly knows their framing. Remember, you want to stand out. I want to know you can make a damn good film.

It's purely, if nothing else, an inkling as to whether you can muster the quality you're suggesting. Video helps, or so past pitches suggest.

Goodluck.

i'm using the forbidden site to raise money for my feature. A lot of anonymous help is 100% reliant on if that site features your movie and it's at the whim of the moderators there.

This may be a stupid question, but why is it forbidden to mention other sites? I mean, that's what the internet is: a collection of sites.

Argh. This sort of thing drives me up the wall. The internet is a collection of sites and I will continue to treat it as such.

As is a pavement lined with a collection of stores, but to continuely speak of a rival store, would be seen as detering customers. The website runs on traffic, it relys on this to muster income from small businesses advertising via banners and links, aswell as forum-goers continuing to purchase premiere memberships. All of which relys on gaining as many visits as possible.

Although, I totally understand your view.

Last edited:
As is a pavement lined with a collection of stores, but to continuely speak of a rival store, would be seen as detering customers. The website runs on traffic, it relys on this to muster income from small businesses advertising via banners and links, aswell as forum-goers continuing to purchase premiere memberships. All of which relys on gaining as many visits as possible.

Although, I totally understand your view.

…but a good shop assistant would tell you where you can buy something if they never stock it in their store. I can understand (but dislike) the rule in some cases, but the aforementioned site offers a service that IndieTalk doesn't.

…but a good shop assistant would tell you where you can buy something if they never stock it in their store. I can understand (but dislike) the rule in some cases, but the aforementioned site offers a service that IndieTalk doesn't.

Of course, I myself have done exactly that working in a retail store. Yet, whether or not they're similar or dissimilar, they render on the subject matter of "film" and can be seen as competitors.

This may be a stupid question, but why is it forbidden to mention other sites? I mean, that's what the internet is: a collection of sites.

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=25409

Technically the rule says you can't link to other "communities" which I read as "forum."

Never did get a direct clarification from a moderator though.

The "We don't have that, but you can find it over here." analogy applies IMO. I mean does the rule mean that Joe Director can't link to his Kickstarter page in the promo section of this forum in the hopes of drumming up more support?

I understand the spirit of the rule, but it is sort of vague in a way that is probably more limiting than intended. I frequently read two other forums that I cannot link here - both of which are far more specialized than IT and contain info that folks here would find useful. Having accounts there doesn't lessen my support of IT (I post here WAY more than on other boards), but it does give me info to share with the folks here.

Back