• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

'Way Far Gone' feature-length film...

Here is the trailer and official page of my crew's first feature-length film, Way Far Gone. Post-production will be completed by the end of August. Any thoughts and comments are welcome and appreciated.

Way Far Gone - Rough Customer Films

There are also 4 other short films that can be streamed on the site as well, if you're feeling frisky.

Thanks in advance.

- The Customer

Last edited:
Okay, fine. You post the same damn trailer three times. Now I feel compelled to comment.

Somebody else, in a different thread, commented that it's too dialogue-heavy. No, it's not dialogue-heavy. Plenty of trailers are nothing BUT dialogue. It's just that the dialogue doesn't tell us much. I don't know what this movie is about. There's some dude with a claw. And some drugs. And people in a bar, talking about stuff. What the hell is the plot?!

I've never tried putting together a trailer. I imagine it's very difficult business. My intuition is telling me that the people who made this trailer were seriously involved in the production. Their favorite lines made it into the trailer. But those of us who don't have the same intimate knowledge don't know how those lines (that might actually be really awesome) pertain to the story. Is good idea to have an outsider make the trailer.

I apologize if you feel that the multiple postings of the trailer is annoying. It only seemed natural to post it in all the places where it was relevant (there may be people who hang around the camera and lenses place that don't hit the screening room very often). If it was overkill, I really do apologize.

You're intuition is correct. I directed the film and cut the trailer. There's actually a newer version floating around out there that has not made it onto that web page yet, which addresses some of the issues you've brought up. My initial goal with this trailer was to show what I felt to be most exploitable bits (guns, drugs, bloody people, fire, etc.) Those of us with taste know those types of things mean nothing in the overall, but people do respond to it, so it made sense to go that direction. The next one will ideally be quite a bit more informative.

And, yes, trying to distill your two hour movie into two minutes is quite a task. I've never put a trailer together before now. Live and learn, I guess.

Thank you for watching, Cracker Funk.

No, I apologize, for being snappy.

Okay, so in my opinion, the next logical step is for you to open up to this forum. Instead of using us as a place to promote your movie, use us as a place to figure out how to better promote your movie.

As is, the trailer's not working. I've told you why I don't think it's working, but I'm just one dude -- one dude who's never tried cutting a trailer.

Nevertheless, I say you should use this forum as a brainstorming device. There are plenty of people ready to offer their opinions. Many of them will be stupid, stupid opinions. But then you'll get some nuggets of wisdom that are pure genius. Or, maybe you'll discover your own pure genius in the process of working out your thoughts with us.

So, I ask that for now, you forget about the trailer. Tell us about the movie. What is it about? Your logline? A quick synopsis? Then, maybe some of us will have some thoughts on what essentials need to be in the trailer?

Worth a try.

I agree that some simple overview to frame out the premise and/or confirm what the premise seems to be would work well. I’d like to see the film, it looks like something kind of different.

-Thanks-

The film is composed of three separate stories.

Part one is called "Takes a Lot to Rock You". It's about a failed writer turned high school English teacher who makes the foolish (but intriguing) decision to spice up his life with crystal meth. He soon becomes intimately involved with a mysterious wig-wearing woman and tangled up with a trio of redneck, drug-dealing brothers (one of which is a younger kid that has hooks for hands).

Part two is called "These Arms" and is about the young man with no arms, his family, and his friendship (and maybe more) with a girl named Peaches. His brothers cook and sell meth to raise money to buy their little brother new, highly-sophisticated, electric arms to replace the standard hooks he's stuck with.

Part three is called "The Last Heart In Line" and is about the wig-wearing woman, Serafina, from part one. We learn about her very mysterious and disturbing past (she has MAJOR psychological issues) and get to re-live several moments from the first two parts of the film through her eyes (I'm not really comfortable posting information about part three of the film, as describing it in any details is one big spoiler for the rest - if that makes any sense).

We're winding down on post-production and getting ready to debut the film locally here in Nashville. The ultimate (reasonable) goal is to sell the film - most likely to video on demand distributors or overseas video markets (it's probably not an exploitable commodity in the American market). The film has very solid production values and features some really awesome performances from a who's who of the top-of-the-line professional talent in this city. What I'm saying is - we're competent, and I have no doubt that the film at least demonstrates that. We just want to put it out there in hopes of drumming up some money to do something on a larger scale. The first place to start, I guess, is spreading a trailer around to get some interest. If you have any ideas of how think it could be more compelling, I'm certainly all ears.

I’ve thought about it and watched the trailer again, and it's the tagline that seems missing (to me).
(Maybe at like 0:42 or 1:20)

“When stopping at nothing is where you begin, how far is too far?”
When losing it all means losing yourself, how gone is too gone?”
–Way Far Gone.

-Thanks-

Thanks, Buddy! I especially like the first part. Imma see how it feels cut in to the new version I've been working on. That is, if it's okay with Cracker Funk to re-post the link... (just joking, Cracker!)

Thanks, guys.

Hehe. Thanks for sharing this with us. Okay, so I just watched the trailer again, and it's funny how much more sense it makes to me. With your description of the story fresh in my head, I understood all of that dialogue, and why you included it in the trailer, whereas before, it just felt totally random to me.

Soooooo...

Maybe you use the movie trailer voiceover guy? In all honesty, that movie trailer guy annoys me, but he's stuck around for some reason. Appearantly, something about him works.

Would your trailer make more sense if there was a voiceover explaining a little context of what we're watching? Buddy Greeny could be onto something, suggesting that this trailer needs a tagline. And who would deliver that tagline? The movie trailer guy.

I think you could use the movie trailer guy to introduce the characters and their predicaments first, then deliver the tagline.

Best of luck to ya!

This looks like a very competently shot film. Good production value for what I assume is a micro budget.

Nice work. Good luck.

Back