We Need Funds

So we've completed two features and a short documentary. The first we submitted to film festivals with some success. It didn't win the Oscar we were hoping for, but that's beside the point. All three are well done and I am more than satisfied with the result.
We want to start our third feature, but we're out of money.
How do we get funds? We'll only need $50,000.
I see people with less experience getting much more than we need. How do they do it? Also, neither me nor my partner come from wealthy families. Unfortunate.
Any help the Indie Talk community could offer would be much appreciated.
Thank you for your time.

I see people with less experience getting much more than we need. How do they do it?
There are a thousand different ways to raise
money for a movie. I'll bet each of the producers
you are asking about raised their production
budget in different way. How they didn't is isn't
really the question you should be asking. How
YOU can do it, should be.

How did you raise the money for your two
features?

From an investor point of view (and yes I have invested a small amount of money in a film before, along with various companies etc). No one is going to give you a lump sum of that size (or any size really) if you can't show a potential for return. Track Record is important!

$50,000 sounds like a lot of money if you broke and your first two films can't raise that amount. I'd suggest you try to market and sell your first 2 films before you run another. Like Cracker Funk said, perhaps a lower budget may be in order?

Remeber if you can make $2000 from a movie that cost you $1000, doesn't mean you can make $10,000 from a movie that cost you $5000, more likely you just lost $3000.

I'll add one more to Graeme's advice - Get those previous pic's working for you so that you can show a track record. There is a saying in the business world that money follows management - having a successful track record for showing a return on the product you already have would be very helpful for your cause.

Back