Do you guys have a second job?

Working in the film industy for ten years, this is my findings. YOU HAVE FILM spectators AND FILM MAKERS, and from someone whos worked in the industy for ten years. All people in Bafta & Cannes talk about making films, but its all bullshit. You think you know about making movies, not enought my friend, you got to know about money first. Making films is about money....FULLSTOP.

Oh, I think I've seen those films. You're right, inspiration and making money have to get along better.

Unfortunately filmmaking's my second job right now, but I'm still optimistic that someday. . . .

Anyway, my main job is making cheese, butter, and ice cream at a dairy. It's fun.

Yes, i have a day job as well. But on purpose it's not as far from film making as other jobs may be. I work on the mise en scene of a single frame ;)

I am an engineer and have done automotive and aerospace engineering.

Film making is a hobby so far for me. It was natural I would want to make my own films sooner or later considering the amount of my life I have spent watching movies and tv.

I'm a supervisor for a construction company. Been in that business for over 30 years. I've been a creative most of my life. i.e. music, photography, filmmaker. There is not a lot of money in short films except for commercials, industrials, wedding flicks and maybe music videos. Features are basically the only money making potential but not easy to make part time. Seem folks don't take part-timers serious.

But I keep working at it, I love doing it, film-making.

I too, alas, have a primary job. I am Director of Product Services at a microphone company (which means I sit at a test bench with my soldering iron, headphones and stereo microscope). But have plans to take my film-related biz full time in 6 months.

Last edited:
Filmmaking is my first and only job (hired at 17 and working steadily ever since).

I feel somewhat lucky to be able to write that.

I guess that proves the post above me wrong. ;)

Last edited:
I have an interview on Monday at a video & audio production studio in the next city over. I replied to an ad on Craigslist and, miraculously, I heard back from them. Hardly ever happens. We'll see... Other than that I limp along with freelance design and video editing gigs for a few boring educational clients. Just trying my best to stay busy with a variety of side projects.

full time filmmaking

I work full time as a filmmaker. The thing to remember when trying to approach film as a central career is that there are many types of work available. While you definitely don't have much chance of going directly from student to full time movie director, it's a lot more realistic to go from student to full time director.

Just be less specific about what you direct. My main interest is in directing feature films, and occasionally I get to. I'm about to make one right now. But 5 out of 7 days a week I'm directing whatever clients need to be directed. Music videos, corporate videos, television advertisements, upscale weddings, convention signage, stock footage, etc.

As a full time director you are your own boss, so the key is to be a good boss type. Insure that you are always working on something productive. Wake up before noon and do at least 8 hours serious work a day. Advertise yourself, make connections, constantly train up skills.

I see a lot of people that want to be a full time director that think it consists of rolling out of bed at 3pm and coming up with a great idea. No way. 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration. I just returned from a shoot where I was on site director for a large car company, I was up till 4-5 in the morning editing, then back out at the site by 7 am each day.

Days off aren't days off either, you need to find an activity such as stock footage production any day you don't have a scheduled shoot. Even on weekends you are likely to be at least running footage processing.

I guess my point is that a job as a funtional full time director is more job than rock star fantasy camp. Be prepared if you get your wish.

I feel very lucky to be able to make a living out of writing and playing music. I started in a band that toured for several years then moved onto writing music for TV and Film. It has been my job for over 20 years and I never had another trade to fall back on which I think has worked in my favour because at times when it was tough and money was tight I just had to work harder and stick with it.
I've told my wife to put on my gravestone "He got away with it"

luck

Whatever dude. You're lucky. Most of us aren't.

There is a lot of luck, and way more nepotism, determining who gets the best film jobs. But most of us that work full time helped their own chances a lot. I spent 12 hours a day 7 days a week for 4 years learning how to take a project through every stage of development.

I moved to California and pay 4x normal rent to be in proximity to jobs and connections. I'm investing an amount of money most people spend on a house into equipment. I've learned corporate polotics, and how to deal with business people. I've learned every way that footage can be converted to money. I've gotten up at 5 am climbed to the top of a mountain and shot a city for 7 hours straight in freezing wind with wild animals around. I learned CGI, compositing, music theory, mixing, foley, grading, blu-ray authoring, etc.

Once you've done all this and still don't have a job, then you can say you are unlucky, otherwise, it's more a situation where you haven't tried hard enough yet.

Pulled into the system at 17? Yeah, that counts as luck. But in general, and especially in film, you make your own luck.

Back