Depression

Yep. It passes.

In the olden days it was called the BLUES. Do something POSITIVE for yourself or someone else, and it'll kick them blues right out the door.

Hey, I'm sorry to hear you're having a tough time. Yes, everyone gets depressed. Some people feel it deeper than others, though, and some feel it for longer, and more frequent, periods of time. Don't be afraid to ask for help, and just keep working through it (you might wanna try and figure out exactly what is making you depressed, and do a bunch of reading up on it).

Filmmaking can be incredibly trying, so that can compound things. But filmmakers don't have a monopoly on depression.

Your entire life is a constant state of change. Nothing is permanent. This, too, shall pass.

Sometimes. Specially at times when I think that I have to explain to my parents what the hell it is I'm doing with my life.

I was going to write something about music. But I don't want you to think I'm writing this frivolously. But sometimes there's certain kind of music, that can lift you up, certain words that tell you that somebody else knows how you feel.

It's also good to hang out with other people. But that doesn't always work if you're far away from home.

sometimes there's certain kind of music, that can lift you up, certain words that tell you that somebody else knows how you feel.

That's a tell-tale sign of clinical-depression. It feels good in the moment, and that's fine (can almost feel therapeutic), but you should recognize that it does nothing to solve the underlying problem. What is causing the depression?

I have buttons that get "depressed".

Seriously though, are you talking about being bummed over something in particular, nothing in particular, chronically, or clinical depression for which counselling and meds are available?

Me, I get bummed over stupid stuff, but that's it ("D@mnation! Got outbid on ebay!"). Few and far between. Nothing that lasts longer than a afternoon or so. Next day I might feel emotionally depleted, and am pretty much fine by bedtime that next night.

However, I have several non-genetic family members afflicted with clinical depression for years. They all see psychiatrists and take meds.
Had a crazy girlfriend once that meds didn't help and neither could I. That didn't end well. Last I heard she still hasn't blown her brains out.
But another family member did.
Her husband came home from work to find his wife had taken one of his pistols, stuck it in her mouth, and blew the back of her head off on the back porch. We all recognized that it was thoughtful of her to not ruin the carpet or poke holes in the ceiling to be patched and painted.
No one had a clue that was coming, but what goes on behind closed doors many people will never know.

So, what flavor of "depressed" did you have in mind? :)

Last edited:
That's a tell-tale sign of clinical-depression.

Really? :-/
Maybe I've got it. I've never taken a pill for it. But maybe that's because where I grew up, depression is not something that's talked about or anybody knows about, or is diagnosed.

What is causing the depression?

Life in general. It's stagnant. Sometimes there's no visibility on the future. And I can tell you I'm part of the lucky filmmakers. I'm not strapped for cash. It's everything else. But I meet filmmakers all the time who're just struggling. I don't know how they get by. I don't know what I'd do.

So what you're telling me is that when Bruce Springsteen makes me feel good, it's really a sign that something is seriously wrong with me ?? ;)

So what you're telling me is that when Bruce Springsteen makes me feel good, it's really a sign that something is seriously wrong with me ?? ;)

:lol:

Touche, old chap. Touche. I think you would know if you're clinically-depressed, no need for my arm-chair psychology. It is true that music connects, emotionally, with everyone, depressed or not. But if it really connects, yeah, that's something that happens to people who are deeply depressed. Many shades of grey in this discussion.

:lol:

Touche, old chap. Touche. I think you would know if you're clinically-depressed, no need for my arm-chair psychology. It is true that music connects, emotionally, with everyone, depressed or not. But if it really connects, yeah, that's something that happens to people who are deeply depressed. Many shades of grey in this discussion.

Hmmm... you might have something there. Because there was a time when Springsteen really connected with me. This was back in college. That's when I first read his songs. I felt like he was following me around and writing about the thoughts in my head. But those days have passed. But I still like listening to him. Makes me feel good.

College was fun. People were good to me. But there was one semester when I just lost it. I wanted more... or something,... and I wanted out. Who knows the workings of the mind? We go on cause we have to.

Josiah, I hope you feel better my friend. Sometimes we make mistakes and that gets us. Sometimes we just need to talk about stuff to other people. Sometimes they won't understand what you're trying to say. Sometimes it's a good idea to talk to a psychiatrist, cause they're trained to listen. I did, in college. It made a difference.

I'll leave you with a song.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Got his car door flung open he's standin' out on highway 31
Like if he stood there long enough that dog'd get up and run
Struck me kinda funny, seemed kinda funny sir to me
Still at the end of every hard earned day people find some reason to believe

-Bruce (Reason to believe)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOFk3qVlElk

Best,
Aveek

Josiah,

I was thinking about my last post and the song I posted. I think some may find it depressing. The reason it helps me is that it makes me feel that somebody else knows how I feel, and that's why the song feels good. I'm not trying to get you to feel worse.

If you want a feel good song from bruce, here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enxWM6qLsCU

I hope to be away for a bit, so no more bruce posts from me to make you feel either way. Sincerely hope you feel better soon.
aveek

i don't get depressed. my woman has been feeding me some pills and making me snort some white powder... been up for a week!!

CCD - Chronic Clinical Depression - is a sense of overwhelming sadness that permeates your life. You don't laugh as much as you used to, you don't enjoy the things you used to enjoy, you don't want to be around people. You may start drinking, or doing drugs (they call these folks self-medicating depressives, which are different than true alcoholics or drug addicts), or embark upon compulsive behaviors like obsessively playing video games, or over-eating, or excessive sexual adventures. These are all ways of stimulating the "feel good" chemicals in your brain.

Life will always have its ups and downs, and it's normal to be depressed now and then. But if it continues for weeks or months on end it's a sign that you should seek some professional help.

Thanks everybody. I get in these really deep depressions like three or four times a year. Yeah... I get over it. But I don't really have anyone to talk to about it so I just deal with it.
And yes... music does help me. It's pulled me through a lot haha

check your sleep patterns. Nothing screws up kids more then messed up sleeping habits.
that combined with modern couch based life style..

go running, jogging, work out.

Haha thanks. I do work out. Sleep is a problem though for me... I usually get about four and a half hours. I just needed to tell somebody that I'm depressed... I'm not wanting attention.

We can all be your friends, now. :)

Any old minute now random groups of us will be be showing up in your driveway unannounced, watch TV with you, comment on your wall decor, and looking for beer in your fridge. :D

:)
That would be cool. But unfortunately I don't have cable TV, and my walls are red, and there isn't any beer in the fridge. Pretty pathetic isn't it. :)

Back