• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Free editing software?

As a film making professional, I am well versed with the latest and sharpest trends in software innovation. However, I have no clue what the free NLEs are for a 70 something (my father) who was previously using Windows movie maker. What options are there?

Help!

COREL has a low cost editing system called VIDEO STUDIO. The most current edition is Video Studio-10, but you can buy a brand new Video Studio 6 or 8 (last year's model) for about $10 on ebay. It's easy to learn, and has all the bells and whistles you would expect, as well as a lot of extra surprises that you would only expect to see in high end editors. Also, it works on a standard PC.

Resolve, Lightworks and Hitfilm are all free. Depending on how technologically savvy he is, Resolve and lightworks might be outside his comfort zone. Get him to try Hitfilm. If that doesn't work out for him, buy him Vegas.

If you already have Adobe, consider loggin him in under your account. You can use 2 computers under the same license.

I too was going to suggest HitFilm. It feels like Premiere or older versions of FinalCut so there may be a little of a learning curve for your dad, but if he was already working with Windows Movie Maker, then there should be no reason for him to want to explore and adjust.

I too was going to suggest HitFilm. It feels like Premiere or older versions of FinalCut so there may be a little of a learning curve for your dad, but if he was already working with Windows Movie Maker, then there should be no reason for him to want to explore and adjust.

Thanks to you and the other dude who suggested it! I'll check it out.

There's also a free version of Media Composer, but as with Resolve and Lightworks - might be a bit complicated (depending on technical skill).

I always thought Pinnacle Studio was a nice beginner's piece of software that still had powerful features, but might be out of the price range.

Back