• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Black or African American

I don't live in the US, so this is just based on something I recall reading, but "African American" can also be seen as more offensive than black (and most prefer black). Most "African Americans" have little to do with their African roots (if they even have African roots). Having a quick google search on the topic shows most people feel this way, and that "African American" sounds like you're trying to hard to be PC - which in turn can be more patronising.

Is it important in your script to make a clear distinction of races? Most people don't really want to be labelled by their race/skin colour (how often do you hear someone referred to as a "white american" or "Caucasian"?) - but obviously if there's a reason for it in your story, go ahead.

Black. You can use African American in dialogue if the person is the type that would say it . There are definitely people who prefer one over the other (white people and black) but as a neutral point....screen direction...I would use Black.

Most black people I know use black. Unless they are speaking about Afrocentric issues, when it will change up. I don't know if I've ever heard someone (non-white) say African American in real life unless they were talking in the abstract: politics, etc.... white people on the other hand use it alot more. I think black has a connotation of not being p.c. but thats not entirely true.

"someones going to be offended no matter what"

truth

Back